PDA

View Full Version : Random orbital + SwirlX = holograms?

Pages : [1] 2

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I am so confused; I have never had this problem before! I can`t get rid of my extremely light holograms with my random orbital and SwirlX together, the mildest thing I own.

Edit: fixed. Got a mircofiber pad.

RaskyR1
05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I am so confused; I have never had this problem before! I can`t get rid of my extremely light holograms with my random orbital and SwirlX together, the mildest thing I own.

What pad are you using and what type of vehicle is it?

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I used a foam pad and then tried a Terry cloth pad, and both left holograms. I am 100% positive they are holograms because I wiped down with Dawn an then tried claying. I also QD`d it. It`s a gray 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe.

RaskyR1
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I used a foam pad and then tried a Terry cloth pad, and both left holograms. I am 100% positive they are holograms because I wiped down with Dawn an then tried claying. I also QD`d it. It`s a gray 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe.

The movement of a random orbital polisher doesn`t leave holograms. holograms are from the circular movement of a rotary polisher.

How are Holograms Formed? – Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-are-holograms-formed/)

Any chance you can get a pic of what your seeing? Also, what foam pad are you using? It`s possible the pad itself is causing marring in the paint.

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
The movement of a random orbital polisher doesn`t leave holograms. holograms are from the circular movement of a rotary polisher.

How are Holograms Formed? – Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-are-holograms-formed/)

Any chance you can get a pic of what your seeing? Also, what foam pad are you using? It`s possible the pad itself is causing marring in the paint.

I threw some NXT on to temporarily cover up whatever it is. I`ll clay it again this weekend and try a different pad to remove the marring. I`ve never used this orbital on the Tahoe before, only on my old white Acura. Maybe I just didn`t notice the marring on white.

RaskyR1
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I threw some NXT on to temporarily cover up whatever it is. I`ll clay it again this weekend and try a different pad to remove the marring. I`ve never used this orbital on the Tahoe before, only on my old white Acura. Maybe I just didn`t notice the marring on white.

What orbital do you have?

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I just bought some microfiber pads. No more marring :)

WMD-DFW
05-26-2010, 07:23 PM
What orbital do you have?

:werd: Terry cloth im guessing its the $30 walmart random orbital

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
:werd: Terry cloth im guessing its the $30 walmart random orbital

Nope the $30 Pep Boys Black and Decker random orbital buffer :). It does a great job for me until I can afford another Makita.

WMD-DFW
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Yea thats not really a buffer just a high powered vibrator/wax spreader

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Yea thats not really a buffer just a high powered vibrator/wax spreader

The main thing I was trying to remove on my 1995 Acura Legend was/is oxidation. The swirls could be worked out later, but the oxidation has to go. With the tecnique I have I can get ~85-90% correction with a random orbital buffer (at least on my Tahoe`s paint.)

WMD-DFW
05-26-2010, 08:58 PM
You dont have a buffer

WMD-DFW
05-26-2010, 09:00 PM
TOB = Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22196-tob-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html)

BluBrett
05-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I know it wont remove anything gnarly in your finish like a rotary will, but it does remove oxidation and it does remove light swirls (even if it does take a long time) example taken a couple hours ago on my previously swirled car:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/blubrett/1274931025.jpg

It looked like this in the sun too, except it had the marring that the terry cloth induced.

WMD-DFW
05-26-2010, 09:23 PM
And your hand can do it too but prob faster and better