PDA

View Full Version : concours detailing

Pages : [1] 2

Envious Eric
05-26-2010, 12:23 AM
so if you were to have a car lined up for a detail, and he had to have it resprayed due to spliting paint, would you still do that car for a concours event, or no?

vtec92civic
05-26-2010, 12:28 AM
are we talking from a liability stand point or a make money stand point?

I would leave it up to the owner. If he really needs his ride done to have it looking top notch for the event then it`s clear that you need to work on it but in a sense it is a waste of money since it will be getting re sprayed . . . . . unless money isn`t a object and the event is really important to that individual.

Envious Eric
05-26-2010, 12:42 AM
no no,

i mean there is a guy with a car that is currently getting resprayed because of a clear bra installation issue (cut the bra on the paint, cut through the paint) so he is having it re-sprayed. I wanted to do that car, but if its resprayed, is there a point in doing it to be judged???

vtec92civic
05-26-2010, 12:58 AM
well as we all know most shops that re-spray anything always send the vehicle back out with fresh paint and fresh swirls and holograms. So i would say yes there is a point to doing it and that would be having it done correctly so the traces of it being re-sprayed are minimized when comes time to judge the vehicle.

bryan
05-26-2010, 05:57 AM
the car would not qualify for a concours event as it would not have the original paint

Jean-Claude
05-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Explain to the customer and leave it up to him.

RaskyR1
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
the car would not qualify for a concours event as it would not have the original paint

are you sure on that? I swear I`ve seen fully restored cars on TV that were in concours events.

David Fermani
05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

So what you`re saying is that you can`t show/compete a vehicle in a Concours event if you have any kind of paint repair?

Most of the @ a Concours event are restored thus meaning non-original paint. Non-original paint will affesct the points awarded, but won`t disqualify it. Even in the Survivor Class I believe.

toyotaguy - Can you elaborate on your customer`s concern with this issue?

Envious Eric
05-26-2010, 08:23 AM
its not his concern, its my concern. I didnt know if a repaint was allowed, but I figured it would be for reasons you stated, David.

I may or may not do this...its cutting it too close with the scheduling we both have. I just wanted to get my foot in the door and see what its all about

RaskyR1
05-26-2010, 08:24 AM
its not his concern, its my concern. I didnt know if a repaint was allowed, but I figured it would be for reasons you stated, David.

I may or may not do this...its cutting it too close with the scheduling we both have. I just wanted to get my foot in the door and see what its all about

What make/model vehicle is it?

imported_JoshVette
05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I`m a little confused?

Does the owner want the car detailed for the show or not?

Are you worried it won`t win first place and this somehow effects your name as the detailer of the car?

I would detail the car, especially after a respray, you never know what kind of damage the shop may do to the car that you`ll need to buff out.

Josh

08xB
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Ummm... My Father-in-law had a 50 Jaguar XK120 Roadster that was invited the the Concours D`Elegance at Meadowbrook TWICE. Never has a car been invited twice. The first time was to show for awards, the second time it was not eligible as it had already won. Any how, it was a TOTAL restoration, ie... fresh paint.

MarcHarris
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
^ +1 to JoshVette

Envious Eric
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I want to do it, and I will be doing the car either way...its an Fcar scud

I was just questioning if a respray was still allowed to be judged, obviously it is. For some reason, I was thinking resprays were not allowed.

my name wont be on the car for this event. i just want to see what its all about. i have only been to the dana point concours last year and to say the least, wasnt impressed with a lot of the cars condition after being "detailed to be judged" - buffer trails and holograms on 75% of the cars...

08xB
05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I want to do it, and I will be doing the car either way...its an Fcar scud

I was just questioning if a respray was still allowed to be judged, obviously it is. For some reason, I was thinking resprays were not allowed.

my name wont be on the car for this event. i just want to see what its all about. i have only been to the dana point concours last year and to say the least, wasnt impressed with a lot of the cars condition after being "detailed to be judged" - buffer trails and holograms on 75% of the cars...

You are not kidding! I have been to several Concours events and I cannot believe the swirls and buffer trails that are left on these fine pieces of art. If I didn`t know any better, I`d think they were driven through the local automatic car wash! :wow: