PDA

View Full Version : Hand polishing chip repairs?

zeenon53
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
There seems to be way more product than I can remember since the last time I really detailed a car. My plans are to give my 09 bmw a full detail. I just received the car a month ago from the dealership and the paint is in really good condition with minimal swirl marks and water spots so no major cutting is necessary. There is one nasty rock chip on the hood which will be repaired as well. I have no experience with repairing chips so I just plan on filling it and detailing over it, no wet sanding. Everything will be done by hand. All I want to do is fill in the chip a little to hide it. The chip doesn`t have to be perfectly blended in. Can I get by w/o a buffer?

The product lineup I have chosen is:

zaino z-18 clay

1Z einszett Paint Polish `Lack Politur`

zaino z-2

P21S Concours - Look Carnauba Wax

I didn`t know I had any z-2 left when I ordered the 1Z and P21S products, so I figured it would go to good use before the wax. I also still have some zaino grand finale spray but i`m not sure where to use that in this mix.

Car:

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/mitchg53/BMW/BMW3.jpg

BostonDuce
05-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Depending on how big your chip is, you may be able to get by with just the color fill, otherwise you will need to put the clear coat on. In the `old days` touch up sticks were single stage paint sticks, and you could bring up the gloss on the repair, now you really need the clear coat step that comes with the factory touch-up paint to make it shine.

First, swipe the area with alcohol, just like a doc would do if he`s giving you a shot. Resist the temptation to glob the paint on all at once, or "expand" the area by putting too much paint on. You may need several applications to get the paint close to even with the surrounding area. Use a flat tooth pick-not the brush-in-cap(glob city)to apply the paint. Do not try to apply, or redistribute paint that is skinned over on your applicator or on the repair. The paint dries from the outside in-just like pudding.

Don`t forget to `leave room` for the clear if you`re using it. Think of it as filling a hole in stages. The paint dries from the outside in-just like pudding. It also has a very aggressive solvent to burn into the paint so it will stick. Any mistakes will likely leave a mark, even if you try to remove it.

On the final coat, wait about 45 minutes. Take a credit card, wrap edge in micro fiber cloth. Put a dab of your polish (not wax) on the repair. Use the edge of the card at a 45 degree angle and go back and forth (lightly) over the repair. You will plane down , and polish the repair it until it`s the same level as the surrounding area. Add polish as needed to keep a wet edge.

You can then go over the whole area to bring it up to the gloss level you want. No need to use a buffer. You don`t need no stinkin wet sanding.

Use anything that says "Grand Finale" in its name for your last step.

Enjoy your Bimmer before you have to pay for Inspection II !

BD

zeenon53
05-26-2010, 08:36 AM
The chip isn`t tremendous, about 2 pin heads big. I ordered some touch up paint from BMW and haven`t received it yet. I don`t think it will come with any clear coat. If it doesn`t, what/where would I get the right stuff?

Accumulator
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
zeenon53- Welcome to Autopia!

Note that the 1Z Paint Polish leaves wax behind, and that will interfere with the Zaino. Either do something to clean that wax off (IPA or maybe even just a strong Dawn wash) or skip the Zaino and just apply the P21S wax after you do the polishing (that`s probably what I`d do).

BostonDuce
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
When I got my touch up stick,it came with 2-one color, one clear-something in the $20.00+ range.

Any auto supply outlet that has a Duplicolor display for touch up paint will have a clear stick with BIC.

BD

zeenon53
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
zeenon53- Welcome to Autopia!

Note that the 1Z Paint Polish leaves wax behind, and that will interfere with the Zaino. Either do something to clean that wax off (IPA or maybe even just a strong Dawn wash) or skip the Zaino and just apply the P21S wax after you do the polishing (that`s probably what I`d do).

With that said I guess I should skip the Z2 then? The grand finale spray would still be ok after the p21s wax?

I will be on the lookout for the clear coat touch up stick on my next trip to the auto store.

Accumulator
05-26-2010, 12:06 PM
With that said I guess I should skip the Z2 then? The grand finale spray would still be ok after the p21s wax?

Right, go right from 1Z PP to P21s.

I dunno if the Zaion QD will be compatible with the P21s, but I`d sorta guess it would be OK. I dunno...I don`t think *I* would use it though. Polish, wax, done...that`d be plenty IMO.

zeenon53
05-26-2010, 07:49 PM
^^^

Kind of what I was feeling when I placed the order.