PDA

View Full Version : Whats the cost of an average detail?

Pages : [1] 2 3

technomafia
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Im taking my car to a Car Wash/Detail place that was highly recommended by a friend. Its definitely an upscale Car Wash/Detail spot. The owner put several million dollars into the place in the last couple years. Just for an exterior Clay, compound, polish, and wax he`s charging $100. Isnt that cheap for all that work?

WMD-DFW
05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
For just the exterior its a little low but nothing crazy assuming its a regular size car and where the location is.

Most likely hes using some all in one compound, polish, and wax product so hes prob just claying and than going to the AIO

gmblack3
05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I wish you well.

Out of the several million $$$ that the owner put into the place, I wonder what % of that he spent insuring that his staff really know how to polish paint.

imported_DetailDan
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
$100 would get you a simple wash and wax or seal from me and many other detailers. I think that price is crazy. Where are you located?

technomafia
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I wish you well.

Out of the several million $$$ that the owner put into the place, I wonder what % of that he spent insuring that his staff really know how to polish paint.

I understand what your saying. But my friend who recommended it had a severly oxidized old mustang that this guy cleaned it up really well. I didnt see the end result myself, just going by this kids word. My car isnt nearly that bad just has fine scratches, swirls, and hazing. He says he can completely remove the scratches and hazing but the swirls will eventually come back. Thats the main reason why im taking it to him because I need someone to correct the scratches and hazing. Then he just told me to follow up with a wax every couple months which I have no problem doing on my own.

WMD-DFW
05-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Swirls shouldnt come back unless hes using a filler

technomafia
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
$100 would get you a simple wash and wax or seal from me and many other detailers. I think that price is crazy. Where are you located?

The guy said it would take about 3 hrs. Is that an enough time to do a quality job?

im in jersey. Thats what alot of these big Car Wash/Detail places charge. I use to work at one about 10 years ago and thats what they would charge. Except they didnt clay your car.

technomafia
05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Swirls shouldnt come back unless hes using a filler

thats what I dont understand. How can you remove scratches but only fill swirls? He`s defintely pretty positive he can remove the scratches, but said he`d only be filling the swirls I believe.

WMD-DFW
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
The guy said it would take about 3 hrs. Is that an enough time to do a quality job?

im in jersey. Thats what alot of these big Car Wash/Detail places charge. I use to work at one about 10 years ago and thats what they would charge. Except they didnt clay your car.

3hrs is enough time to do a 100dollar job

WMD-DFW
05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I would also doubt he put a million dollars into the place, the guy would need to do so much volume to recovery from that it would be really shoddy work or its justa little over the top

technomafia
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I would also doubt he put a million dollars into the place, the guy would need to do so much volume to recovery from that it would be really shoddy work or its justa little over the top

im talking the whole facility. the car wash, the detail center, the oil change center. The actual car wash part that your car rides through is beautiful with all new equipment. Definitely the nicest ive ever seen and ive been into cars and cleaning them since I was a kid. The place is on a busy highway here in jersey with alot of people that have money living in the surrounding towns. Its actually right next to Bada Bing, the strip club that was in the Sopranos, lol

gmblack3
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
You will get the "glaze n go" special.

WMD-DFW
05-25-2010, 05:16 PM
You will get the "glaze n go" special.

:werd: Bring some IPA with you and see how it looks after you spritz an area

technomafia
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
well the most important thing is getting some overspray off and scratches removed. So I guess its worth it

So whats the average cost guys? One professional detailer that I know for sure does great work cuz Ive seen the end result myself charges $600. I cant swing that now so thats why im not going to him, maybe in the future though. But is that price a little high for exterior only?

WMD-DFW
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
For a basic polish and wax is $120 for me, thats about 3hrs but if you got overspray and scratches (which I dont see how the scratches are going to come out and the swirls wont) would be more