PDA

View Full Version : Clay and correction material removal from finish

kajunman
05-24-2010, 08:24 AM
I have read on Autopia about using Body Prep, Hi-Temp Prep Wash, Meguiar’s (Detailer) Body Solvent, IPA, FK1 # 1119, Preosolv and Dawn/ CG Citrus Wash, for removing clay and correction material from the finish. From what I have read on Autopia the Hi-Temp Prep Wash and the IPA seemed to be the easiest and safest to use. Am I correct in this assumption? I am discounting using the Dawn/ CG Citrus Wash because I am not sure it cleans the finish as good as the other products. In a search of the best product to use I came across this prepsolv product that is made from citrus. http://www.petroferm.com/datasheets/157_TDS.pdf It seems to be less hazardous to humans.

Thanks,

Kajunman

kajunman
05-25-2010, 08:05 AM
I know that alot of you on this forum have been doing detailing longer and are at a higher level than me. Please give me some feedback on this.

Thanks,

Kajunman

kajunman
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Come on guys. I know there are experts on Autopia with an opinion on this.

Thanks,

Kajunman

getcha
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
For the most part you are correct, they are cases however, where the LSP is very fresh or the glaze/wax/sealant that you are trying to remove before polishing is VERY stubborn and requires a little more chemical intervention with some mechanical agitation.

Accumulator
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
I have read on Autopia about using Body Prep, Hi-Temp Prep Wash, Meguiar’s (Detailer) Body Solvent, IPA, FK1 # 1119, Preosolv and Dawn/ CG Citrus Wash, for removing clay and correction material from the finish. From what I have read on Autopia the Hi-Temp Prep Wash and the IPA seemed to be the easiest and safest to use. Am I correct in this assumption? I am discounting using the Dawn/ CG Citrus Wash because I am not sure it cleans the finish as good as the other products. In a search of the best product to use I came across this prepsolv product that is made from citrus. http://www.petroferm.com/datasheets/157_TDS.pdf It seems to be less hazardous to humans.

Thanks,

Kajunman

I somehow missed your post until now...

Yeah, IMO the IPA and Prep Wash are simple, safe, and effective. You might oughta keep IPA off of clear bra/PPF materials.

PrepWash is more effective for removing oils than IPA *IME*.

I don`t know about the citrus-based stuff, but I`d be sure to rinse thoroughly after using that.

kajunman
05-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks getcha and Accumulator for the feedback. Accumulator check your PM.

Thanks

Kajunman