PDA

View Full Version : I`m assuming this is NOT okay...

BluBrett
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I took a look at the Lexus again today and took some pictures. Everything seems perfect except for one thing- the VIN on the dashboard. I couldn`t even read it because either A) It was re-glued in the wrong spot (it could have fallen off or the dashboard could have come from another car) or B) The VIN is another car`s VIN. Here are some pictures:

Edit: for some reason the pictures are really small. I don`t know why.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Probably because they`re 150px × 113px ?

Try 800 x 640?

Accumulator
05-24-2010, 09:45 AM
BluBrett- Find some other VIN marking and see if it matches. Not sure where you`d find one on a Lexus, but I`m pretty sure that dash plate isn`t the only one on there.

BluBrett
05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
BluBrett- Find some other VIN marking and see if it matches. Not sure where you`d find one on a Lexus, but I`m pretty sure that dash plate isn`t the only one on there.

I found some other vin markings and they match the dashboard vin, but why would the vin number be in that spot where you have to put your head right next to the hood of the car to see it instead of perfectly centered in the windshield "cut out"? Could it be a replacement windshield that had the "cut out" in the wrong spot?

Accumulator
05-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I found some other vin markings and they match the dashboard vin, but why would the vin number be in that spot where you have to put your head right next to the hood of the car to see it instead of perfectly centered in the windshield "cut out"? Could it be a replacement windshield that had the "cut out" in the wrong spot?

Hmm...that replacement windshield idea might explain it :think:

At any rate it`s good that the other numbers match, but I`d sure be grilling the seller about it anyhow. Heh heh, oughta at least be good for a few bucks off, unless he`s sure he can sell it to somebody less observant.

David Fermani
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I took a look at the Lexus again today and took some pictures. Everything seems perfect except for one thing- the VIN on the dashboard. I couldn`t even read it because either A) It was re-glued in the wrong spot (it could have fallen off or the dashboard could have come from another car) or B) The VIN is another car`s VIN.

I`m 100% confident that the vin tag on this car is fine. I inspect vins all day long and assure you that both Lexus/Toyotas are close to impossible to make out (and photograph)

BluBrett
05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys, I wouldn`t have let this stop me from buying the car, but I have decided to go another route. 1995 Green Acura Legend sedan. Before/ after pics coming soon (stay tuned, this thing`s gross!)