PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Paint Repair - Why it typically sucks!

Pages : [1] 2 3

David Fermani
05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Can anyone tell me all the things wrong with this repair??

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/PolyProDetail/HackPaintRepair.jpg

Legacy
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
What about the overspray on the other half?

LX1
05-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Only painting half the fender. There will be a nice line where the gas cap is.

There will be a nice line through the bumper.

The Door might get over spray.

The front part of that fender down low will also have a noticeable line.

I may not know alot about blending paint but a straight line through the middle of a fender is going to show.

mikenap
05-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I dunno, the two tone bumper kinda sets it apart. Very unique!

imported_advs1
05-22-2010, 09:11 PM
its a mbz and the owner is too cheap to pay a body shop??

Barry Theal
05-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Well besides the obvious overspray issue. They masking job was just horrible. They didn`t roll any edges at all. They blended the rear bumper and didn`t clear the whole thing. Im not sure what that spot is on the quarter panel, but it don`t look right, hard to tell with that picture. Also the color is way off around the bumper. I see they cleared the whole quarter and blended to the gas cap. How does it look up against the deck lid? Is the color off there as well between the two panels? The bumper blend looks real dry like they shot the paint from across the street. LOL overspray all over every car in the background maybe?

Should I go on? :LOLOL

05-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I didn`t even know paint repair of this scale could be done outside of a paint booth. How do they keep contaminants from getting into the paint? Doesn`t the wind screw with the process?

I would be beyond pissed if I was parked within a block of that while it was going on...there must be overspray everywhere.

Scottwax
05-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Besides the obvious huge risk of contamination in the paint, the taping of the bumper, gas cap door and top and bottom of the fenders are going to have tape lines. Guarantee there is going to be a lot of overspray on the adjacent panels, probably the whole roof, back glass, etc.

BigAl3
05-22-2010, 10:03 PM
unnacceptable....

ppastos
05-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Why would anyone paint outside on a car?

Painting and detailing are best done inside!

LX1
05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I see this done at the used car lot in my area. But they mainly spray bumpers to fill the rock chips. Nevertheless it should be done inside.

AuAltima3.5
05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
When I was in HS, my neighbor painted his car outside at night.

There were four 500w lamps on his freshly painted black car.

It had a ton of flies in it. Other than that, it was ok. Some places had OP, but nothing westanding couldn`t take of. . .

But I would never want that for my vehicle.

Final Touch
05-23-2010, 01:17 AM
SMART Repairs are one thing but this one`s not that smart, there`s reasons why bodyshops don`t do it this way.

The list of bad techniques is long and distinguished and most have been mentioned, but to add to the list,

The manufacturer`s body warranty has almost certainly been compromised, some of the new Merc`s have a 20 year body warranty on paint and body structure. This model might be older than than that but would still most probably have a 12-15 year warranty so long as any repairs are done to spec.

Hard edging in the middle of a panel is bad enough but to hard edge your clearcoat is just foolish, they`ll never loose that line no matter how good the blended finish of the basecoat is or how much they wetsand those edges

They`ve taped in such a way to avoid paint getting into seams and on lights etc... but they`ve neglected to remember that there will now be edges `at edges` and there`s a strong likelihood that the paint will peel back from there in future and they`re gunna look awful once the tape is peeled back.

The blend on the bumper is probably the best thing they did except that there`s obviously the issue with the hard tape edges near the wheel- they`d have been better off not to tape the lower 1/2 of the bumper at all. You don`t have to clear the whole panel so long as you blend the clear well beyond your basecolour to avoid the colour creeping back (even 4-6" is probably enough). It`s easy enough to melt the edges of clearcoat into existing clears although probably not with such great adhesion on a ceramic clear though come to think of it so it might sheet off in time.

Overspray might not be too much of an issue on vehicles nearby if they`ve used HVLP guns to shoot paint, there`s not too much drift at 15 pounds air pressure but they could easily have covered a larger portion of the car itself as a precaution although there doesnt seem to be excessive wetting on the paper so....

Probably the biggest error is that they`ve devalued a really nice car, it`s not like it`s a Toyota Avensis or something, it`s a freak`n Merc SL500. I`d be sooo peeved if I was the owner and had a paint repair like that done on my vehicle.

Final Touch
05-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Why would anyone paint outside on a car?

Painting and detailing are best done inside!

Little blends on bumper corners are easy enough to do inside or outside but the problem with doing it inside particularly at vehicle dealerships is that you usually end up in the valet area and have to battle with silicones in the atmosphere. That`s when you get the little circles in the paint that pull backwards and once silicone is in the paint all you can do is go back to the beginning and start the repair over.

Sometimes outside is just simpler and the lighting is usually good for seeing imperfections.

autoconcierge
05-23-2010, 06:32 AM
"Krylon"......."No runs, drips or errors" LOL. This is "Hackness" at it`s finest and this goes on EVERY SINGLE DAY EVERYWHERE, just because you can does not mean you should but there are "Cheapinowski`s" at every dealership count on it.