PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on PwS

Sherman8r44
01-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I know a few people have already done their reviews on PB`s upcoming Polish-with-Sealant, but I thought I would just add my findings with it. At first I was a little bit disappointed when I found that it was one of the 20th day specials because I just bought a whole new line of polishes and sealant and it was redundant to my collection. Let`s just say that notion has changed... :yes:

Test Car : My Dad`s dark metallic blue 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. This car is had so much parking lot abuse that I feel embarrassed by it, but Budman3 did an excellent comparison review, so you can look at that if you want pictures.

Initial Thoughts : It came in a PwC bottle and has a very creamy consistency. Orange color with distinctive orange smell--you`ll either love it or hate it, but I happen to love it.

How I applied it : I S&W`d the car first, then I applied PwS by hand with a Meg`s Foam Applicator. I removed it with a Vroom microsuede Polishing Towel and a Cobra Detailing Cloth. I applied to about 1/4 of the car and then remove.

AND NOW, TO THE MEAT OF THE REVIEW... :eat:

Ease of Application : Simply amazing. I tend to apply waaay to thickly, but this stuff just wants to be applied evenly and thinly. I can`t say enough great things about how easy it is...not only does it spread forever, it spreads so evenly, no streaky application or anything. Removal is just as easy. A swipe with the microsuede cloth and the haze disappears. Where I applied too thick (nowhere to spread it to), a couple of passes with a plusher towel removed it easily.

Cleaning Ability : Excellent. I`ve never used KAIO, but I bet this stuff is just as good. There was a fair amount of white dusting I forgot to clean up after practice polishing a few weeks ago, dusting that only came off with liberal amounts of S&W and scrubbing. A couple of no-pressure swipes with PwS, and it was all gone! Remember, though, this "polish" is chemical not abrasive--it won`t remove any defects past hazing.

Looks and Slickness : I`m not the best at judging looks, but I found that it gave a very clean-cut, bright look. It was very reflective, and it seemed to dull down some of the many defects in the paint...it just made the car into a mirror. Definitely glossy, but not darkened. I can`t speak for metallic POP yet because I have only seen it in weak garage lighting, but it certainly will not have muted the flake. Slickness is very good starting out, silky smooth to the touch, but DP`s Premium Surface Shield is slicker. Steve said slickness improves in 2-3 days, so I`ll update on that.

Durability : Obviously I can`t tell yet, but I`m afraid that I am not very good at judging durability. If I remember, I will update on how it`s doing 3 months from now.

Value : If Steve sells this at approximately what he sells PwC for now, KAIO better start running for it`s life. Great bang for the buck, especially because this stuff is so concentrated and so spreadable that it took only 1/2 an ounce to do the entire SUV.

What I would like to see changed in the final version : The major achilles heel of PwS is the curing time. 36-72 hours of no liquids makes it impossible to do a topper on a customer`s car, so hopefully this stuff is durable enough to make up for that fact. I hope Steve will chime in as to how much durability suffers when topped immediately. I know it`s probably chemically implausible, but I would like to see the same PwS I see now but with a cure time of at most 12 hours, the less the better.

Recap:
Ease of Application: A+
Cleaning Ability: A
Looks and Slickness: A
Durability: ?
Value: A+
Misc. (curing time): C

OVERALL: A

Thanks to Poorboy for the generous 20th day of specials :yourrock . Questions/comments/opinions?

budman3
01-14-2006, 11:56 PM
What I would like to see changed in the final version : The major achilles heel of PwS is the curing time. 36-72 hours of no liquids makes it impossible to do a topper on a customer`s car, so hopefully this stuff is durable enough to make up for that fact. I hope Steve will chime in as to how much durability suffers when topped immediately. I know it`s probably chemically implausible, but I would like to see the same PwS I see now but with a cure time of at most 12 hours, the less the better.

If I get what Steve was saying is that for optimal durability the product would need to be secluded from rain for the 2-3 days, which is the same for a lot of sealants. I applied Megs 26, and it rained the next day and it streaked really bad. As for topping, there are several people (to my understanding) that top NXT with a Carnauba in the same day, so I will assume that it will also work with PwS and a Carnauba, not sure about another sealant though.

If the weather clears again I am hoping to do another comparison test with PWS to test it`s cleaning ability with oxidized paint. Ya can`t have too many reviews about a product, especially if it is a good one and not released yet... kind of a tease to the ones who havent tried it yet. Thanks for the review. :yes:

Sherman8r44
01-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Ya can`t have too many reviews about a product, especially if it is a good one and not released yet... kind of a tease to the ones who havent tried it yet. Thanks for the review. :yes:

Amen, and you`re welcome. :D

If I get what Steve was saying is that for optimal durability the product would need to be secluded from rain for the 2-3 days, which is the same for a lot of sealants. As for topping, there are several people (to my understanding) that top NXT with a Carnauba in the same day, so I will assume that it will also work with PwS and a Carnauba, not sure about another sealant though.

I think you`re right about Steve was saying, but for most sealants the cure time is only 12-24 hours (12 hours for my DP PSS). My understanding is that topping a sealant before it is cured with anything will be a detriment to its durability, so I`m hoping Steve will chime in on this issue.

GregCavi
01-15-2006, 12:14 AM
If Steve sells this at approximately what he sells PwC for now, KAIO better start running for it`s life.

My thoughts exactly!

Greg

mgm2003
01-15-2006, 03:57 AM
I`ve used it a few times as a 1 step, and on glass and think it`s a very nice product. IMO, it`s easier on/off than PwC.

When I get some time I plan to test PwS vs. Optimum Polish with an OCW wipe off (my current fav. 1 step).

Sherman8r44
01-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Everyone, there will be no 2-3 day update because my Dad drove his car in the snow this morning :(

tubafeak
01-15-2006, 08:36 AM
I think the 2-3 days was to acheive maximum slickness. It`s similar to OCW in this respect, OCW takes a few days to really pop, it`s decently slick the first day but as time progresses it gets slicker and looks better. I think this is a similar situation, you`ll probably be safe topping in 12 hours or so.

Brenton
01-15-2006, 12:51 PM
My understanding was 2-3 days would only be the curing time for maximum protection, not shine or slickness or hiding ability.

Sherman8r44
01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I would imagine 2-3 days of curing would enhance everything, but I`m hoping for Steve to provide some input...he definitely said slickness would increase after 2-3 days though.