PDA

View Full Version : clear coat damage on wheel

raaizin
05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a 2007 A6 with the 18 inch wheels which are painted silver from factory. I have 2 wheels which I damaged the clearcoat with a power washer duh!!. The silver paint is not damaged at all. Can I sand and reclear the wheel. what clear would you recomend and what grit sandpaper would you use.

shaunls1
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
It would help a lot if you could post a pic of the damage

jono20
05-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow... must be one hell of a pressure washer to tear paint off a factory wheel!

David Fermani
05-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Can you do it? Yes. Can you do it right? Probably not. You`d be doing your A6 an injustice by doing a DIY repair on it. These are specialty repairs that require special processes to duplicate factory quality results.

autoobsessed
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
If you are comfortable with doing the repair, Wurth carries a silver paint and clear to match German wheels. We carry it.

Accumulator
05-22-2010, 08:01 AM
raaizin- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry to hear your wheels got messed up.

Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

- Pressure washing Audi wheels shouldn`t mess up the clear :think:

- Much as I like Wurth stuff, others here have been very critical of how their wheel paint holds up. No negative first-hand experience here though.

-I`ve never been able to do decent wheel refinishing. Gee, it just never looks as good (IRL) as all those "check out my work!" posts on the internet ;) And it`s not like I`m all thumbs...

-My Audi dealer has refinished silver-painted Audi wheels to 100% perfection (and coming from me that`s quite a statement!), so skilled people, using the right stuff, *can* do this job right.

-Just IMO, but I`m with David Fermani on this, a nearly-new Audi deserves to have the work done properly even if it does cost a little bit.