PDA

View Full Version : Diesel exhaust stains on body panels

swan
05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
I detail this one truck fairly often now and it is a diesel Ford F350 fully loaded with all the aftermarket bells and whistles. Dual exhaust, Edge programmer, nitrous, methanol injection etc. The problem I have is when they change tunes to tow it, it comes back with black soot so thick on the rear fenders behind the tires.

I have used a few degreasers and none have knocked it down any. Once I wipe the area with a rag it is still stained. Then I use AG SRP to clean up the stains the rest of the way.

Right now they run it thru a touchless wash twice a month I think. Only thing I can think is to change the exhaust tips so they point down. Any suggestions? Anyone run into this and what did you use to clean and protect it?

mhuie
05-21-2010, 07:02 AM
I detail this one truck fairly often now and it is a diesel Ford F350 fully loaded with all the aftermarket bells and whistles. Dual exhaust, Edge programmer, nitrous, methanol injection etc. The problem I have is when they change tunes to tow it, it comes back with black soot so thick on the rear fenders behind the tires.

I have used a few degreasers and none have knocked it down any. Once I wipe the area with a rag it is still stained. Then I use AG SRP to clean up the stains the rest of the way.

Right now they run it thru a touchless wash twice a month I think. Only thing I can think is to change the exhaust tips so they point down. Any suggestions? Anyone run into this and what did you use to clean and protect it?

You could have them apply StonGard or LaminX to protect the paint in those areas.

swan
05-21-2010, 08:56 AM
You could have them apply StonGard or LaminX to protect the paint in those areas.

I thought of that but the film would have to be applied all the way up to the lettering on the bed. And even then I don`t know if it would hold up to the exhaust soot.