PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Corvette Chrome Wheels

MtBiker
05-19-2010, 07:37 PM
So next Friday I am taking the day off from work and intend to do a FULL detail of my 2008 Z-51 Black Corvette.

The big question that I have concerns the chrome aluminum wheels- what is the best way to clean them AND seal them?

Every washing the wheels get Griots Wheel Cleaner- which works fine, but this Friday I inted to do a full cleaning on the wheels which will include taking them off of the car.

Should I clay the exterior chrome areas, -use wax or paint sealant, -would there be any issues with using the 3" orbital with the metal piolish pads on the inside dish of the rims?

Just looking for a little newbie help here.

Thanks,

Matt

ntwrkguy1
05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
I`d definitely clay the wheels, but I`m not sure I`d bother using a 3" orbital on the inside dish. Due to the wheels being almost new, I`d probably clay them, then go right to a sealant.

I`ve used the AIO/SG combo for years on wheels, and have always loved the results.

Legacy
05-19-2010, 08:51 PM
So next Friday I am taking the day off from work and intend to do a FULL detail of my 2008 Z-51 Black Corvette.

The big question that I have concerns the chrome aluminum wheels- what is the best way to clean them AND seal them?

Every washing the wheels get Griots Wheel Cleaner- which works fine, but this Friday I inted to do a full cleaning on the wheels which will include taking them off of the car.

Should I clay the exterior chrome areas, -use wax or paint sealant, -would there be any issues with using the 3" orbital with the metal piolish pads on the inside dish of the rims?

Just looking for a little newbie help here.

Thanks,

MattBlack Fire makes a metal polish/sealant that will take the heat from wheels

MtBiker
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Blackfire looks to be the trick.

I dont race the car, but I have noticed that after the evening drive home- and then wash time- that I can feel the heat from the rotors- I have never checked to see what the rims feel like at that point but will certainly check that out tomorrow.

I guess I have a slight concern (after now giving it a thought) to the tolerance of a wheel sealer with rotor heat.

One question- do you have any experience with the Blackfire sealer on a performance car?

Thanks

WMD-DFW
05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
As far as cleaning Meguiars Wheel Brightener, this was just spraying Meg Wheel Bright 3:1 let it sit for about 1min and than rinse with ONR and a green wheel brush didnt really scrub or agitate at all

Just make sure to use PPE when using it :o

http://www.wmd-dfw.com/2005NissanXterra/Before/RimBefore.JPG

http://www.wmd-dfw.com/2005NissanXterra/After/WheelsAfter.JPG