PDA

View Full Version : Clear-bra, wax or don`t wax

1320Str8_liner
05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Do you wax and or apply sealant on top of clear-bra or should you avoid this, I have clear-bra dealer installed and they say, you can wax on top of it, what do you guys suggest from what you have seen?

JohnKleven
05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Wax, wax, wax. You can`t wax it enough. Keeping a good wax or sealant on the mask will keep it looking good for a long time. Having wax will help prevent damage from bugs and bird droppings. If you`re planning on taking a trip where you will see lots of bugs, put a coat of wax on it before you leave. It doesn`t take long, and is cheap preventative maintenance. Always use a white colored wax or sealant. Collinite 915 is a good one. Never use a colored wax on a clear mask. I hope this helps.

John

Tony1
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I use Aqua Wax on mine every wash. I prefer the spray wax to avoid getting residue in the edges which is a pain to get out.

Accumulator
05-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I try to apply my LSPs in a "moving off the PPF" motion, that helps avoid buildup along the edge better than pushing LSP up against the edge.

With Collinite, I do an application of 845 first, and *then* an application of the paste. Seems to help minimize residue along the edge better/easier than just using the paste by itself.

Sealants don`t seem to be much of a problem in this regard unless you apply them too thick or do a lot of layering. I finally got some residue issues with FK1000P after maybe the fourth layer or so.

autoobsessed
05-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Chemical Guys has a product for clear bras, Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant, spray it on, wipe it off.

RaskyR1
05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Opti-Seal is great for around the edges too as you don`t have to worry about wax residue.

D Tailor
05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Opti-Seal is great for around the edges too as you don`t have to worry about wax residue.

Great recommendation Mr. Rasky!:2thumbs:

imported_DetailDan
05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Never use a colored wax on a clear mask. I hope this helps.

John

Good tip. You dont want to use anything with dye it in or it can cause the clear bra to yellow.

Bigpoppa3346
05-19-2010, 01:11 PM

+1, Opti-Seal is my go-to for clear bras. Also, if you are using a traditional WOWO LSP on the rest of the paint, follow Accumulator`s advice and "move off" or away from the clear bra to minimize any residue that will build up along the edge.

autoconcierge
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Great recommendation Mr. Rasky!:2thumbs:

Understatement of the year...........:2thumbs:

drewsc
06-27-2010, 03:06 PM
The opti-seal looks promising. I have to try it out. Make sure you use a wax that is silicone free. Silicone can get under the edges and will make the adhesive fail. I personally use Plexus plastic polish and cleaner.

GatorJ
06-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Chemical Guys has a product for clear bras, Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant, spray it on, wipe it off.

I had been using Plexus and then just bought some of this. Applies nicely and easy to remove, but the bugs (thankfully) have not been playing near the interstates lately to put it to any real test.

AZN_C300
06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Just don`t use any dye`d wax. Clear bras are poreous material and you can get wax within those pores that can cause discoloring and not easy to get out. 3M clear bras especially so, as they have larger pores than most clear bra makers in industry.