PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin mitt shedding

GoCubsGo
05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
I`m not trying to bring resurrect the debate over wash media, I just have a slight issue and question.

I have been using natural sheepskin mitts for awhile and haven`t noticed any marring (ONR and foam bath washes) so I am happy with their performance. I maintain the sheepskin mitts via gentle hand-washing with Woolite, hand rinse and air dry on the Grit Guards. The issue I have is that regardless of the sheepskins I purchase - from Pep Boys generics to Uber Mitts - some start shedding after only 10-20 washes (shedding as in the leather base starts coming off in small random spots). I am thinking of trying out microfiber wash mitts. Any insight on my sheepskin maintenance technique or wash media alternatives?

I searched and couldn`t find anything definitive so I was hoping for some advice from the Pros. I am also leaning to MF mitts because I would love to be able to dry my wash mitts on low heat in the dryer, which I can`t do with sheepskins.

Any comments/advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS-I own a couple grout sponges, but I just can`t see myself using them on the finish (sorry, the science/engineering just doesn`t make sense to me). I cross-hatched the ones I own and they are perfect for wheels, but that is the only place I will use them.

shaunls1
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
detailersdomain sells a sponge that they use thats silicon free and they are like 6 bucks so there worth a try.

also i dont like the grout sponges eather i baught one used it and it wasent for me.

the sheep skin mits will all do that over time the ones i got from the parts store would only last about 8-10 washes then they would start to fall apart.

Pats300zx
05-18-2010, 06:00 AM
This is one of the primary reasons that I switched over to a grout sponge for washing. I feel they rinse better than the sheepskin mitts, are cheaper, and seem to fit my hand better.

Tony1
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Well the fist problem is letting the sheep skin air dry. I used to do this way back when I started using sheep skin instead of chenille and the sheep skins started to literally fall apart after a few washes. This was caused by the leather rotting and it was rotting from air drying. I started turning the mitts inside out and putting them in the dryer on gentle. The result is I now have my sheep skin mitts last years and that`s with a minimum of a weekly wash and often more than that.

Since what you are doing obviously isn`t working you have nothing to lose by trying to dry them in the dryer. I don`t know how it got started on here but air drying a sheep skin mitt is not a good thing as you are finding out.

GoCubsGo
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Well the fist problem is letting the sheep skin air dry. I used to do this way back when I started using sheep skin instead of chenille and the sheep skins started to literally fall apart after a few washes. This was caused by the leather rotting and it was rotting from air drying. I started turning the mitts inside out and putting them in the dryer on gentle. The result is I now have my sheep skin mitts last years and that`s with a minimum of a weekly wash and often more than that.

Since what you are doing obviously isn`t working you have nothing to lose by trying to dry them in the dryer. I don`t know how it got started on here but air drying a sheep skin mitt is not a good thing as you are finding out.

Exactly the type of answer I was hoping to find. Thanks Anthony !

gav'spurplez
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
sheepskin mitts falling apart here too,

i have always allowed my mitts and towels air dry...........unless washed and dried.......

tired of wash media..period

Tony1
05-20-2010, 11:36 AM
sheepskin mitts falling apart here too,

i have always allowed my mitts and towels air dry...........unless washed and dried.......

Did you ever stop to think that letting the mitts air dry is the problem?

gav'spurplez
05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Did you ever stop to think that letting the mitts air dry is the problem?

no,

i have done that since i was old enough to wash cars............one sheepskin mitt has lasted just fine and i wish i didnt demote it after purchasing the sub par new ones.......

BigAl3
05-20-2010, 10:00 PM
the best sheepskin mitt i have ever used over the many years is the thumbless one by sm arnold (still have a few that are brand new). they last a good while and do not fall apart...

i agree with what Pats300zx said...

Tony1
05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
no,

i have done that since i was old enough to wash cars............one sheepskin mitt has lasted just fine and i wish i didnt demote it after purchasing the sub par new ones.......

So let me get this straight. You have a issue with your sheep skins falling apart. You have always air dried them so you continue to do so for that reason. You never considered that trying something different even though what your doing is resulting in your mitts falling apart?

Accumulator
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Or...just consider it a cost of washing your car and don`t worry about it, replace them as needed. It`s not like most mitts are all that pricey, at least not like BHBs (which fortunately last for years). I don`t keep track of how long mine last, but that`s because they last a long enough time (over a year with basically zero upkeep) that I consider them in inconsequential expense. Now if I had to replace my BHBs every year (or even every few years!), that`d be a different story!