PDA

View Full Version : some non bias opinions please

Pages : [1] 2

lewi1032
05-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Ok, before anyone starts flaming me I have been looking through just about every car and detailing forum online and I have totally gotten information overload to the point to where I am just plain confused!!! I have a 2009 pontiac g8 with less than 8000 miles, it is "panther blacK" which is black with some metallic flakes in it. The paint is really in good shape but I have noticed some swirl marks in it so I would like to ask for some non bias opinions on what I should use.

1ST thing:

A da polisher, I was going to order a PC 7424XP and then I got to reading and my god there is a ton of different ones to choose from. The one thing that I noticed is that everyone compares there polisher towards the pc, so that kind of tells me the PC must be great machine or they wouldnt compare themselves but I hear there are some manufactures that rebadged the PC and offers a lifetime warranty. I am pretty open on this but I really like the lifetime warranty, I wouldnt really want to spend more than 250 but only if it is going to be better then the PC polisher so please give me your thoughts...

2nd thing:

I have never really done much with my cars in the past other then clay baring, a good cleaner wax then some nxt. I would like to know what you would recommend on my black car, I would like a great swirl remover, filler or whatever you want to call it and I want a wet *** shine!!! I have read alot of forums and the DWG AND UPGP and believe it or not I even researched on what they mean. I now know dwg is danase wet glaze but I cant for the life of me find out where to buy it, then I see most of the posts that I am reading are from 2008!!!! lol...So do they not make it anymore? I even seen some post on a new formula? AND upgp is ultima paint guard plus..I was going to maybe use some poorboys black hole show glaze then the dwg and the upgp and top with dwg again but the whole i cant find dwg kind of killed that idea and lead me to this long post!!!! lol... I am just looking to fill/fix the swirls and get a great, great, great did is say great? wet shine. I love that wet look, so please give me your inputs on this. I dont really have a budget on this either, I am not going to spend 1000 on a wax like I have seen so that is out but I dont mind spending more money on a better wetter shine!!!

3rd thing:

What is a good car cleaner. I use meguirs nxt car wash but it isnt really impressive but then again I have never been impressed with any carwash for that matter.

I really look forward into all your input and maybe this will help some other newbie has read so much that he gets OVERLOADED...Thank you in advance and god bless!!!!!

Here is a pic of the car after a claybar, meguires cleaner wax, and a coat of nxt (which I am really not impressed with):thx

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/lewi1032/IMG_0074.jpg

PhatHoodDetail
05-15-2010, 10:11 PM
u wont go wrong with a pc and some pads and if u like taking care of your car u wont regret it. now i have had very good results for black cars with menzerna final polish II, followed by blackfire gloss enhancing polish then blackfire all paint protection. something about that combo makes black shine very wet and it nice clean clear depth u can see. im sure there are other combos that just my preference. good luck

lewi1032
05-15-2010, 10:15 PM
thank you for your input... what pads you like the best lake country?

dmw2692004
05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
1st:

The pc is a great machine, but you may want to look into flex products to cut through the tough GM clear and for future use. Just a suggestion. I personally see no benefit in buying a re-banded PC, but I’ll let others chime in on that. Otherwise the pc+good pads will have you on your way in no time.

2nd:

DWG is no longer being produced. Danase went out of business a few months back. You may want to look into megs show car glaze or stick with the poorboys. I don’t really use glazes often so I can’t say I have very much experience. Megs #7 glaze is difficult to use when not done correctly. You should follow the following process after you wash/decontaminate the car..

-compound(if necessary)

-polish

-glaze

-wax/lsp/sealant

You don’t need to apply a galze, wax, then glaze again- it just wouldn’t be necessary. I really like opt-seal as a lsp, followed by a wax of choice for looks, but just opti-seal works great. It should provide more than ample protection if the car is well-maintained.

3rd:

for over the counter megs gold class works really well, otherwise you can look at some of the chemical guys products(citrus wash, super suds, etc), Optimum No Rinse, or Optimum Car Wash.

Hope this helps and welcome to autopia!

lewi1032
05-16-2010, 01:07 AM
1st:

The pc is a great machine, but you may want to look into flex products to cut through the tough GM clear and for future use. Just a suggestion. I personally see no benefit in buying a re-banded PC, but I’ll let others chime in on that. Otherwise the pc+good pads will have you on your way in no time.

2nd:

DWG is no longer being produced. Danase went out of business a few months back. You may want to look into megs show car glaze or stick with the poorboys. I don’t really use glazes often so I can’t say I have very much experience. Megs #7 glaze is difficult to use when not done correctly. You should follow the following process after you wash/decontaminate the car..

-compound(if necessary)

-polish

-glaze

-wax/lsp/sealant

You don’t need to apply a galze, wax, then glaze again- it just wouldn’t be necessary. I really like opt-seal as a lsp, followed by a wax of choice for looks, but just opti-seal works great. It should provide more than ample protection if the car is well-maintained.

3rd:

for over the counter megs gold class works really well, otherwise you can look at some of the chemical guys products(citrus wash, super suds, etc), Optimum No Rinse, or Optimum Car Wash.

Hope this helps and welcome to autopia!

thanks for the welcome and input, so you dont use a polish or a glaze? u just use the lsp and wax? I am looking for the best shine(wet look) i can live with it not lasting long for the car stays in the garage most of the time anyway, it is not a everyday driver:thx

bwalker25
05-16-2010, 07:16 AM
1st:

If I was just starting to try to take care of my cars, I`d go with a PC7424XP and lake country pads. I`d go with nothing larger than 5.5", and get 2 of each of the following: orange, white, black, blue

2nd:

the above process is good, I`d buy menzerna polishes but thats just me. I like SIP and 106FF and 85RD for a good set to start with. For Sealants, Opti-seal is easy enough to wipe on, walk away. Menzerna has a sealant called Power Lock, which I have yet to try, but hear good things about.

3rd:

If you are looking for OTC products to wash with, check out Duragloss, there shampoo is decent, and priced well. I also like my Gilmore Foam Gun, its fun to use and foams up the car and it looks neat! :)

IMHO, chemical guys is way over priced, but they are good products, I use there Glazes, I just find them way to expensive when you can get OTC products or other brands in general at a much cheaper price that do the exact same thing.

I am a big fan of ONR and the Optimum Car Wash, ScottWax is a big optimum user.

Menzerna is expensive and the Meguiars polishes will be a welcome budget minded set with M105 and M205.

Accumulator
05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
lewi1032- Welcomt to Autopia!

That paint looks similar to the Carbon Metallic on my Yukon. And if your clear is anywhere near as hard as mine, you really oughta consider that Flex 3401, I sure appreciate mine (and I have a scad of other polishers to choose from, including two PCs).

If you don`t go Flex, I`d consider the Griot`s Garage 6". Yeah, any extra power will be beneficial, don`t short change yourself.

Meguiar`s or Menzerna polishes should work fine for you, and Menzerna makes polishes for other labels like Wolfgang and Blackfire.

I`d use FK1000P on it for a LSP, but Collinite waxes are good too. I wouldn`t get too complicated about the whole thing, I seldom find that worthwhile.

Shampoos can vary greatly, and I`d at least switch from the Deep Crystal to Gold Class. FWIW, I use Griot`s Car Wash exclusively.

But wash technique is vitally important, perhaps the single most important aspect of detailing.

imported_sal329
05-16-2010, 10:04 AM
The PC used peoperly is great. I would look into the new Griots DA has a powerful motor I would like to get one myself.

Search the Kevin Brown Method and get 5.5" lc flat pads in orange, white and black

I use and really like Meg 105 and 205

If you want a glaze the wet glaze 2.0 is awesome and prima amigo is also good

You can`t go wrong with collinite 845, fk 1000p, blackfire sealant, autoglym hd or duragloss 111. You can use a wax for a lil extra look ontop of the sealant, I have been really liking Dodo lately, pinnacle sig series II and wet obession

lewi1032
05-16-2010, 02:22 PM
so do you think this would be a good setup and maybe add some opti-seal to finish the kit off? If you think there is something better piecing it together please give your inputs Blackfire Wet-Ice over Fire Reference Shine Kit (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/weovfireshki.html)

lewi1032
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok so this I think is the setup that I am going to go with, please feel free to chime in with your comments!!!!

1:Meguiar`s G110V2 Dual-Action Machine Polisher, 5 inch flexable backing plate, lc flat orange, white, black and gold

2:Optimum car wash

3:Meguiar`s M105 and M205 for my compound and polish (using kevin brown method)

4:wet glaze 2.0 , blackfire wet diamond, blackfire midnight sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax, and optimum opti-seal

Please let me know if I have missed a step or something

And thank you again to everyone for there comments and posts, I have learned a ton of information on here and Hope to continue to learn and maybe even help others!!!:wow:

lewi1032
05-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Ok I think I am going to go ahead with this setup, tell me what you think!

1: CARWASH-Optimum car wash, dual buckets one for washing the other for rinsing in between, LOWES t/g sponges and a leaf blower to dry the car

2: POLISHER-Meguiars G110V2 Daul-Action Polisher with a 5 inch flexible backing plate and orange, white, black and gold lake country flat 6.5 in pads

3: COMPOUND AND POLISH-Meguiars M105 ultra cut compound and M205 ultra finishing polish (using the kevin brown method KBM)

4: GLAZE-wet glaze 2.0

5: LSP/SEALANT/WAX BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection,BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax, OPTIMUM Opti-seal

I want to thank everyone for there comments and welcomes, I have really learned alot from you guys and hopefully I can contribute in the future. If you can think of something that I have missed or think i should replace one of the products for something else then please let me know!!! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!!:wow:

Junebug
05-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Good choices, you should be fine!

Dubbin1
05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Ok I think I am going to go ahead with this setup, tell me what you think!

2: POLISHER-Meguiars G110V2 Daul-Action Polisher with a 5 inch flexible backing plate and orange, white, black and gold lake country flat 6.5 in pads

Go with 5.5" pads, they will work much better with that DA then 6.5" will.

WaxManRonnie
05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I`m a Flex user, but I`ve used the one your getting. It works

great. Good product choices. Just take your time and have fun

doing it.

Welcome!

Accumulator
05-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Go with 5.5" pads, they will work much better with that DA then 6.5" will.

Yeah, no way I`d want to use 6.5" pads on that machine. I`d even lean towards 4" for serious correction on hard clear.