PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for Clear Coat to become matte?

BluBrett
05-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I saw an Acura TSX that was between 2004-2006 and it looked like it was a car that wasn`t maintained for 20 years! I was shocked at how matte the clear coat was! Then minutes later I saw a BMW 328i that was newer than 2006 with the same thing. How does this happen? I thought it took longer for even horribly maintained cars to become "matte."

JohnKleven
05-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Oxidation can occur quickly without any protection on the paint. Certain climates, like the southwest with their dry heat can kill paint jobs in a hurry. Keep some good wax on your car, and you shouldn`t have this problem.

John

BluBrett
05-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Oxidation can occur quickly without any protection on the paint. Certain climates, like the southwest with their dry heat can kill paint jobs in a hurry. Keep some good wax on your car, and you shouldn`t have this problem.

John

Yes, oxidation is the word I was looking for, but I couldn`t remember it and typed tho in a hurry. I live in California so that would explain it. Thanks for replying!

Bunky
05-16-2010, 05:41 AM
A good coat of tree pollen left on the paint for an extended period of time will make any paint look dull.