PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding recently resprayed panels?

clnfrk
05-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I had the passenger side bed and rear door resprayed on my `06 Tundra about a month ago. The color matching is just about perfect, but there is some minor difference in texture (orange peel) than the original paint. I will be ordering some wetsanding supplies from Amazon and was wondering what the difference is between a sanding backing pad and a sanding block? I`m assuming the block has whatever grit sandpaper already attached to it correct? Would it be beneficial to get both or should I be ok with just the block? If I get the block, I was thinking of getting a 2000 grit and 3000 grit, maybe 2500 also assuming all three are available.

The above mentioned products are of the Meguiars unigrit variety. Since the orange peel is relatively minor, I don`t think I will need anything coarser than 2000 grit. Should I start with the 3000 first though to see where that gets me? If I end up having to start with 2000 or 2500, would it be a good idea to finish off with the 3000 to make the buffing process easier? I have Menzerna polishes, but will probably be getting the Megs 205 and 105 from Amazon as well seeing how well liked it is here.

Thanks for your help. I want to order these this weekend so I can start on my truck by midweek. Thanks again.

uniquedetailing
05-15-2010, 06:01 PM
hello, a sanding block is used when doin the initial bodywork, making sure the panels are straight, when you come to wetsanding you can use a block but usually you would use a soft pad, the harder the block/pad the more material you will take off. start with a soft pad, check work often and go from there

imported_DetailDan
05-15-2010, 06:06 PM
What Menzerna polishes do you have?

clnfrk
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM
hello, a sanding block is used when doin the initial bodywork, making sure the panels are straight, when you come to wetsanding you can use a block but usually you would use a soft pad, the harder the block/pad the more material you will take off. start with a soft pad, check work often and go from there

By soft pad, do you mean the backing pad that I mentioned earlier? From the pic on Amazon, I can`t tell how the paper would attach to it. Care to explain?,

What Menzerna polishes do you have?

I have the following Menzerna polishes:

Power Gloss

Final Polish II

IP

SIP

106FF or FA (not 100% sure which one... kinda purple in color)

clnfrk
05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Here are the links to the pad and block I`m referring to...

Amazon.com: Meguiar`s E7200 Hi-Tech Sanding Backing Pad: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-E7200-Hi-Tech-Sanding-Backing/dp/B0009IQZ2K)

Amazon.com: sanding block: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=sanding+block&sprefix=sanding+)

I`m not sure which type of block or pad would best suit what I am trying to accomplish. Any suggestions?

clnfrk
05-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Here are some of the sanding blocks I am referring to...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_4?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=sanding+block&sprefix=sand

And here are some sanding pads...

Amazon.com: sanding pad: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=sanding+pad)

I do have a pneumatic DA air sander, but I think I will be doing this by hand unless someone can convince me that it would be easier and/or better to achieve optimal results by using the DA.

clnfrk
05-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Update:

After doing some more research, I have learned that whatever grit I decide to use simply wraps around the sanding backing pad and that I don`t think I will be needing a sanding block since one of the above posters mentioned that it is mainly used to smoothen out bodywork before painting. So, I will be ordering some backing pads and 2,000, 2500, 3000 and 1500 grit papers.

shaunls1
05-15-2010, 09:27 PM
instead of ordering all of that go to any autoparts store and they seel just about every thing you would need.

o`rilleys has a good bodywork section and all types of paper and supplys.

uniquedetailing
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
yeh the sandpaper just wraps around the pad, when i wetsand i prefere to use the edge of the pad only, so the pads moves over any curve instead of digging groves.....

PhatHoodDetail
05-15-2010, 09:56 PM
the sanding block helps to keep whatever u sanddown the same level. if didnt use one and useyour fingers for instance u would sand it down uneven. so try to use the sanding block so at least even thing is even just be careful of ridges and gaps. i would start off 3000 if u dont have experience so if u make a mistake is would be easier to fix or u u can see it and stop sooner before u do more damage than u want. it might take longer with 3000 but it will be safer. if u feel comfortable withh 2500 or 2000 try that just be careful it will sand down faster and be more coarse. good luck i hope that helps

imported_DetailDan
05-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I have the following Menzerna polishes:

Power Gloss

Final Polish II

IP

SIP

106FF or FA (not 100% sure which one... kinda purple in color)

Thats fine, you dont need to order M105/ 205.