PDA

View Full Version : Detailers around Quincy/Braintee/Weymouth? South Shore, Mass?

Pages : [1] 2

Nitax
05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Picked up a used 98 Jeep Wrangler and I`m just looking for a good exterior multi-stage polish. It has a lot of oxidation and some overspray from the previous owners failed attempt at repainting the fender flares. It could stand a quick engine detail too.

Not looking for perfection by any means and the interior is getting replaced anyway. This is a "beater/toy" Just curious if there is anyone you guys would recommend, it would be a relatively quick job.

:buffing:

I know about RickRack and Rydawg up north of Boston but this isn`t worthy of their skills or the drive.

Thanks!

Zack

Rickrack
05-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Hey Zack,

I`d be willing to take care of you, but we`re about 3 to 4 weeks out right now. You might want to check out Driven Perfection. I believe they are in Weymouth.

Good luck!

Nitax
05-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey Zack,

I`d be willing to take care of you, but we`re about 3 to 4 weeks out right now. You might want to check out Driven Perfection. I believe they are in Weymouth.

Good luck!

Went with Driven Perfection this week. Unfortunately I can`t recommend them.

Their prices were good and availability reasonable, but, I was really disappointed with the polishing job.

The main thing I wanted addressed was the heavy oxidation on the hood. I had test polished a few spots before I brought it to them with my Hitachi rotary, some old pads, and old Poorboy`s, those parts came out pretty well. When I picked the Jeep up from DP the best looking parts of the hood were the ones I did. They didn`t seem to cut through much of the oxidation at all. Overall the Jeep looks better but the hood is all uneven with the better looking spots being the ones I did, the still oxidized parts of the hood, they did. :confused:

I was going to bring my 09 Camry to them but I think I need to look elsewhere. It was only $100 for the exterior of the Jeep and I haven`t seen or spoken to the owner yet so who knows. Part of me just thinks I should polish the rest of the hood out myself and call it a day. :sosad

jono20
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
You get what you pay for, a hundred bucks will get you a machine applied AIO, thats about it!

Nitax
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I`ll be the first to say I wouldn`t do an exterior detail for $100, that`s why I paid them.

But...

I spoke with the owner, showed him the areas I did. He asked what I used and I told him. I also told him taking out the oxidation was really what I was looking for. He quoted me $100-125 exterior only, which was to include a wash, clay, compound, polish, and canuba wax. A Wrangler is not a big vehicle and no top was on it.

Now I just used my rotary and some Poorboys 2.5 & Menzerna IP on those 3 spots. My quick go, with just those gave me better results. I.E. if they had just spent an extra 10-15 minutes actually working the hood I`d be happy.

I should upload some pictures to show how noticeable this is. I`m not talking lack of mirror like reflection here, rather definitive polished and not polished areas.

What I`m saying is I came there with specific requests as a knowledgeable amateur. They seemingly did a quicky job which could have been 10x better if they just spent a few more minutes and addressed the issues I asked them to.

My guess is the owner and guy who did the work never communicated about what I wanted and what I had done. In addition there were other areas where there had been stickers, they couldn`t get the area to blend. I have a feeling I`ll be able to in a few minutes with my rotary...

Rickrack
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Zack,

Sorry your experience with Driven Perfection wasn`t what you were expecting...

I figured it would be more convenient for you since you live in Weymouth.

Please let me know if there`s anything I can do for you in the future...

~Rick

M3Armand
06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Went with Driven Perfection this week. Unfortunately I can`t recommend them.

+1

But Driven Perfection is good if all you need is a quick touch up or don`t have the time to clay and seal your car. But they don`t (can`t?) provide the type of services that Rick can do. I suggest sucking it up and booking with Rick 3 to 4 weeks out as he says.

...He quoted me $100-125 exterior only, which was to include a wash, clay, compound, polish, and canuba wax.

I HIGHLY DOUBT they did all that for $100. I`d say they washed, clayed and one-step polish/wax.

Not defending DP, but if the results that you are looking for are "RickRack" results, then you will need to go to RickRack. DP is good for basic wash, clay and wax only.

Good luck!

imported_rydawg
06-05-2010, 07:35 PM
We love to satisfy all of our customers. We might be super booked this year, but sometimes we can slide one in our tight schedule. We are good like that.

We have a rule at Unique Car Care..." if it isn`t shiny enough for us, it isn`t leaving"!

Zack, sorry to hear your experience with DTP. I met the owner Alex last year and he was a great guy.

GGEvoIXMR
06-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Driven Perfection actually recommended I go to Rick because they couldn`t achieve what I was looking for. I haven`t had a chance to call Rick yet but hopefully I`ll have an appointment for mid July.

Jokeman
06-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Driven Perfection actually recommended I go to Rick because they couldn`t achieve what I was looking for. I haven`t had a chance to call Rick yet but hopefully I`ll have an appointment for mid July.

Tell Rick you want it done July 17th:chuckle::chuckle: Then ask his bride to be what she would think of that.:bolt

imported_rydawg
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Tell Rick you want it done July 17th:chuckle::chuckle: Then ask his bride to be what she would think of that.:bolt

She probably wouldn`t be surprised.:rolleyes:

I am sure she is reminding him constantly.:spot

Nitax
07-04-2010, 09:50 AM
So just a follow up, after posting this review the owner did call and leave a voicemail asking that I bring it back and give him another shot at it. Unfortunately I had already spent the money and ordered new supplies online to attack it myself, not to mention I was a bit perturbed given the situation. Needless to say it came out a lot better after I did it my(amateur)self.

I think what others said/guessed is right. They do quickie details and window tinting.

My Camry needs a detail at the moment, that`ll definitely be a DIY project or booked with Rick.

wjsVT
07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I`d highly reccomend Armando`s Car Care in Malden, MA. Armando and his team are highly skilled detailers. Nothing fancy, just high quality work.

Armando`s charges about $150.00 for a truly complete, multiple stage interior and exterior detail.

Jokeman
07-28-2010, 08:52 AM
I`d highly reccomend Armando`s Car Care in Malden, MA. Armando and his team are highly skilled detailers. Nothing fancy, just high quality work.

Armando`s charges about $150.00 for a truly complete, multiple stage interior and exterior detail.

I love this part of their website!!!

"* WET SANDING/HEAVY COMPOUNDING

(we are not respoinsible for burning of clear coat)

$29.95 per panel"

I would not trust my car to anyone that puts this on their website. If you cannot wet sand and compound without burning clear, you need to hang up the polisher!

wjsVT
07-29-2010, 04:42 AM
I love this part of their website!!!

"* WET SANDING/HEAVY COMPOUNDING

(we are not respoinsible for burning of clear coat)

$29.95 per panel"

I would not trust my car to anyone that puts this on their website. If you cannot wet sand and compound without burning clear, you need to hang up the polisher!

I suspect Armando is better at his trade than 90% of the detailing shops and detailers in the Metropolitan Boston area.