PDA

View Full Version : Colli 845, cleaners, and layering

Xcessiv
05-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Hello,

I was wondering what was the best layering strategy with regards to Colli 845. I really like to get the best of each product, but I`m worried that 845 contains cleaners that would prevent me from doing so.

For example, would it be possible to layer:

-1x Klasse SG, waiting 24 hours

-1x Colli 845, waiting 24 hours

-1x Fuzion

Would 845 affect SG?

Or, for example:

- 2x Colli 845 w/ ~4 hours of curing time

- 1x M16

Would the second layer or 845 affect the first layer?

Since 845 isn`t a real synthetic sealant, would topping it with a carnauba wax affect it?

Or if I should stick to 1 product and I`m losing my money/time?

Tony1
05-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Or if I should stick to 1 product and I`m losing my money/time?

This is the only sensible option of the ones you listed. Pick the product you like best and use it. Those other layering options you were asking about to be honest are a total joke. You would end up with one layer of the last product you used.

I have a challenge for you. Section off your hood. Than try all the different layer combos your little heart desires on different sections. Than you honestly evaluate them and see if you see any difference in them. Ask others to look to. See what happens. I have done this more times than I can count and the results are always the same. It`s a BIG waste of time and product.

Dan
05-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Two coats of whatever to ensure that you have proper coverage, anything else is wasting time. 845 is a great choice for durability and ease of use.

Accumulator
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Xcessiv- I can`t imagine 845 messing up a *cured* layer of KSG.

But I sure wouldn`t top KSG with 845 either, I`d rather do more KSG myself (and I`d want to be able to add more later too)

But that`s just me.

While I can imagine the [stuff] in 845 doing some degree of solvent action on some LSPs (look at how it clears up pseudo-holograms in 476S), I don`t think it should be any big concern.

If you want to layer 845 (yeah, that does seem to work for me) I`d wait a while between coats. I always consider the "24 hour wait period to allow curing" to be somewhat arbitrary, just a convenient interval to specify, but it`s not a bad rule-of-thumb. I would *not* wait just four hours, not by a long shot.

But some of those combos seem like a waste of time/effort to me too....I wouldn`t top KSG, I wouldn`t mix different waxes like 845 and #16. I just wouldn`t overcomplicate the whole LSP thing period unless you have a good reason to do it.

I do often do "Collinite sandwiches" of 845/476S/845 and that works well for me (IIRC ebpcivicsi has done OK with that too). But other combos have *not* worked out as well and there are specific (perhaps Collinite-specific), reasons why that sandwich can be a good idea.

Unless you`re gonna bother with some kind of spitshining, layering waxes is generally not worth doing. Heh heh, an incredibly time/labor-intensive spitshining of Souveran over Collinite once worked out *super* for me, but it was such a PIA that I haven`t done it since.