PDA

View Full Version : Painted Plastic?

Lunker
05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
...was just wondering if painted plastics...bumpers, rub strips, mirror housings..etc are worked the same way as painted metal?...sorry if this has been covered but I havent seen any mention of it...

alloutdetailing
05-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Jusr remember whatever you do! Plastic does not receive heat all that well. So whenever you buff it out don`t be to aggressive.

Accumulator
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Right, the plastic doesn`t absorb the heat so the *paint* gets hot and sometimes that can cause problems. People have even had it "twist" right off the plastic!

But, that said, I`ve never had any problems like that and I even use rotaries on plastic parts. Just try to be gentle, at least at first, and don`t ramp things up quite as aggressively as you would on metal panels.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia, Lunker!

MarcHarris
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
^ +1.

Make sure to keep moving on anything plastic. As long as you`re careful you should be ok. The main issue is that anything metal will heat up and dissipate heat at a different rate than non-metal surfaces, so you must treat certain pieces a little different. One way to combat this is to do multiple quicker passes over plastic rather than a thorough pass.

Lunker
05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice! Thanks for the info and the welome! I`ll definatley be careful....maybe I`ll have a click and brag post if everything works out well....:chuckle: