PDA

View Full Version : D151 to finish Blackfire Polish?

danforz
05-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Hey guys,

Its about time I did some correction on my Black Infiniti G37. For the record, D151 didn`t do as much as I expected (via green CCS + PC) and there are still plenty of swirls left. For some true correction I was thinking about getting something stronger but was wondering if I needed an additional final polishing product:

1) Blackfire Finishing Polish via Green CCS Pad

2) D151 via White CCS Pad

3) Topping with UPGP + DWG

The issue is funds: Blackfire is expensive enough as it is and I`d rather not buy a secondary finishing polish. Do you think D151 can... cut it? ;)

Additionally, if someone would like to recommend another applicable polishing combo which will get me great results for less money I`m listening :)

vtec92civic
05-11-2010, 01:28 AM
well what do you own right now product wise?

Megs D151 & Blackfire FP?

danforz
05-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Just D151. ... ... (character count)

vtec92civic
05-11-2010, 02:46 AM
there are tons of different combos. id you want some decent correction go:

megs 105/205 combo. if that`s out of budget get some menzerna power finish. you will achieve great results for a one step polish.

lastly you can get some hd uno for like $12 and all you do is change the pad and use the same product.

imported_sal329
05-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Try 151 with a flat orange lc pad and the kbm. Under the hood of your G does it say hard clearcoat use recommended products only?

Barry Theal
05-11-2010, 07:14 PM
COntact Rydawg on here. He has a crazy trick for that paint. He was telling me about. Ryan can help you on that infintiy paint for sure! He will gladly answer all your ?`s

evolutionwc3
05-11-2010, 08:54 PM
And then come back and post about rydawgs tip. I bet there`s a bunch of people on here, myself included, that would benefit from any tips regarding this Infiniti paint.

danforz
05-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I`ll definitely contact Rydawg.

In the meanwhile, 2 things:

When using a PC, I didn`t find Infiniti paint to be that soft . I applied D151 via Green (course) CCS pad. Begun buffing at speed 4, then moved on to speed 6. Moderate pressure with a liberal amount of time applied to each panel. That being said, there were still plenty of defects to show - and thus this post.

Additionally, I`ve just gone ahead and purchase Optimum Polish II and Optimum Final Polish. I plan on doing the following:

1) Light Compounding

Optimum Polish II

PC + Orange CCS Pad

Buff at speed 6

2) Polishing

Optimum Finish Polish

PC + Green CCS Pad

Buff at speed 6

lasthope05
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Optimums final polish has so little cut its not going to do much. Its more of a finishing polish once after all your correction has been done to give the paint more gloss.

I would give D151 another try. The main thing with SMAT products in correctly priming the pad thoroughly with product and working with good pressure. Also D151 has more cut than optimum polish II.

Here is a thread I created on D151. You can see the amount of defects I was able to remove with D151/3M black polishing pad (which is pretty mild.)

M205 VS D151 Comparison - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36338&highlight=d151)

danforz
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Optimums final polish has so little cut its not going to do much. Its more of a finishing polish once after all your correction has been done to give the paint more gloss.

I would give D151 another try. The main thing with SMAT products in correctly priming the pad thoroughly with product and working with good pressure. Also D151 has more cut than optimum polish II.

Here is a thread I created on D151. You can see the amount of defects I was able to remove with D151/3M black polishing pad (which is pretty mild.)

M205 VS D151 Comparison - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36338&highlight=d151)

I did some more research and it seems your right - Optimum Polish II isn`t all that different from D151 (though it seems to be a little stronger).

I`m a bit concerned with the idea of just trying to switch the pad with D151 (bare in mind, you used a rotary and I a PC). I`d like something stronger than 151 for a decent price.