PDA

View Full Version : Gilmour Foam Gun Failure -- HELP PLS!!!

Marc08EX
05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows a case where in their gilmour foam guns failed. I bought my foam gun probably a year and a half ago. I probably just used it 7-10 times before (worked great) then I got busy and never got around to using it anymore. Today, my detailing bug got the best of me and I decided used it again. To my dismay, the foam gun doesn`t work on settings A-D. When I use setting E, it sips the soap but at a very slow rate. I would say that the current E setting acts like the A or B ratio before. And also, it doesn`t mix the soap at a constant rate. I have to keep on shaking my foam gun in order to keep it going. If I leave it steady, it seems to stop sucking the soap occassionally. Before, I have been using setting D or E and I go through my mixture pretty quick (1 pass of the whole car). Now, I bathe the whole car twice and it only consumed approx 15% of the mixture I put in.

Any ideas? Does anyone know how I can fix it or what`s wrong? Any help or advice would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks guys!

imported_Bence
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Can`t imagine what can be your issue. Have you got the normal FM or the FM II?

After 4 years or so, my Foamaster II gave its soul back to its Creator. Luckily, it just needs an O-ring replacement, but this is a special part.

Can someone send me a detailed parts list for the FM II? In the meantime, I lost my contact infos to Gilmour, and haven`t received an answer to the email I recently sent them.

Other than that, it`s a brilliant product!

Marc08EX
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Can`t imagine what can be your issue. Have you got the normal FM or the FM II?

After 4 years or so, my Foamaster II gave its soul back to its Creator. Luckily, it just needs an O-ring replacement, but this is a special part.

Can someone send me a detailed parts list for the FM II? In the meantime, I lost my contact infos to Gilmour, and haven`t received an answer to the email I recently sent them.

Other than that, it`s a brilliant product!

Bence, I have the FMII. It`s now fixed. Funny you mentioned that. The o-ring gasket thing between the ratio selector and the top part of the foam gun got unseated. I just had to put it back to its holder and it worked again.

What do you mean your o-ring went bad? What did it look like?

Thanks.

imported_Bence
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
It`s torn unfortunately...

JohnZ3MC
05-09-2010, 08:05 PM
If A-D don`t work and E works like A, maybe you have some old dried foam plugging the intake areas or a vent hole may be plugged with a dry clear plug of foam.

I`d separate the head assembly from the bottle then remove the feed tube. Run a pipe cleaner through the tube to make sure it`s not the problem then soak the head unit in water for a couple of days and give it a good shake periodically.

-John C.

Accumulator
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Here are some things I check on my FMI, not sure which parts will need similar attention on the FMII..

-Debris screen on the bottom of the pickup tube

-Vent hole in threaded plug on top of housing

-Siphon apertures on mixing bar

-Brass output tube that plastic foamer tube/sleeve snaps onto

-Plastic foamer

I`ve had to clean all the above at one time or another. Water quality can be a huge factor here.

Bence- My scanner`s dead or I`d send you the parts diagram :(

[Accumulator runs out to shop...]

Actually, I can`t *find* my Gilmour parts diagram! Grr...I did find the one from Bucher`s (one of the brand names it was sold under) and that didn`t show a separate part for the rubber o-ring (its inside the plastic foamer tube, right?).

I`d contact Gilmour, I hear they have incredibly good customer service. Gues that`s easy for *me* to say...here in the US :o

DM101
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
contact Gilmour they do they have incredibly good customer service

Customer Service

Phone: 800-458-0107

tom p.
05-10-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah, it`s probably clogged/plugged.

I know that all of us are aware that the FMII is supposed to be purged with CLEAN WATER prior to putting it away :)

Accumulator
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
OOPS...Is the FMII the one with the plastic rotary ratio selector? I suspect I`m way offbase here :o

..I know that all of us are aware that the FMII is supposed to be purged with CLEAN WATER prior to putting it away :)

Being "aware" is one thing, actually doing it is another thing entirely...

tom p.
05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
OOPS...Is the FMII the one with the plastic rotary ratio selector? I suspect I`m way offbase here :o

Yes, and the plastic rotary dial permits variable soap output.

Accumulator
05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
tom p.- OK, roger that, thanks.