PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

20Deep
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
So I picked up a 7424xp and some Megs 105 and 205 to get some of the scratches and water marks out of my paint.

After about 4 hours of work on different parts of the vehicle, using different amounts of pressure and product, I have seen no improvements whatsoever. Even the slightest of surface scratches remain.

I honestly have no idea what I`m doing wrong.

I`m using an orange pad with 105 ... surely that amount of cut should have at least some results, right?

Tru_Shine
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds hard to believe? I dont know what to tell you, even if you didn`t do It completely perfect you should still see results, how much M105 are you applying to the pad?

todd@bsaw
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
What type of car? Has it been repainted?

M105 on an orange pad should be plenty aggressive enough to do a significant amount of correction. How long did you work each panel?

RaskyR1
05-07-2010, 12:08 PM
and how fast are you moving the PC across the paint?

20Deep
05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
It`s a 2007 VW Touareg. I know that VW paint is notoriously hard and I was ok with not getting a perfect finish because of that but to get nothing is surely frustrating.

I was working 2`x2` areas and would guesstimate that I was maybe working each area for 3 minutes or so. After priming the pad I was putting two circles of 105 around the outside.

I`m thinking that I may move down to a 4" yellow pad. That`s really the only solution that I can think of at the moment.

RaskyR1
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
It`s a 2007 VW Touareg. I know that VW paint is notoriously hard and I was ok with not getting a perfect finish because of that but to get nothing is surely frustrating.

I was working 2`x2` areas and would guesstimate that I was maybe working each area for 3 minutes or so. After priming the pad I was putting two circles of 105 around the outside.

I`m thinking that I may move down to a 4" yellow pad. That`s really the only solution that I can think of at the moment.

Too much product being used for sure. After priming 4 pea sized drops is all that should be needed.

Make sure you arm speed is slow (1-2 inch per sec).

Reduce your work area size

Yellow 4" pad will likely haze the **** out of your paint. I`d stick with the orange or Cyan Hydro if you go to a 4".

3 minutes is way over working a section with M105.

Can you post up some pics?

20Deep
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Yea give me a minute

20Deep
05-07-2010, 12:31 PM
These are areas that I have already done.

Sorry for the terrible pictures but the sun isn`t out at the moment so I had to improvise.

http://upshizzle.com/pfiles/1195/SNV30534.JPG

http://upshizzle.com/pfiles/1196/SNV30537.JPG

http://upshizzle.com/pfiles/1197/SNV30538.JPG

Accumulator
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
20Deep- Welcome to Autopia!

What RaskyR1 said (and seeing the pics doesn`t change my opinion on that either).

And note that it might take numerous tries to get some of that deeper marring out. M105 really is a miracle worker compared to most other such products, but those miracles don`t happen instantaneously ;)

Noting that I advise people to err on the side of caution (even if I don`t always do it on my own vehicles :o ), some of that marring might be a bit deep for 100% removal.

RaskyR1
05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, those look like some deeper RIDS you`re trying to remove. Aside from the RIDS the finish actually looks to be in good condition.

Can you catch the edge of those scratches with your finger nail?

Tru_Shine
05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
yeah, they look pretty deep, that first pic looks like something I would wet sand to get out.

20Deep
05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I`ll try a few more passes using less product and see if there is any improvement. Going over the same area numerous times isn`t dangerous in any way correct?

So going with a yellow pad is definitely not the way to go?

subygirl
05-07-2010, 05:33 PM
if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail - be careful about trying to take the scratch completely out because you might compromise your clearcoat and leave a larger blemish than when you started

Accumulator
05-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I`ll try a few more passes using less product and see if there is any improvement. Going over the same area numerous times isn`t dangerous in any way correct?

Well, it`s more risky than just going over the area once, but that`s because you`re taking off more clear and taking off more clear is kinda the whole idea behind doing correction like this. It`s a matter of knowing when to say "good enough".

Can`t really *ever* say that abrading away paint is not dangerous in any way ;) But it`s all a matter of degree.

But generally, on paint that hasn`t been aggressively corrected before, sure...I go over a given area quite a few times.

So going with a yellow pad is definitely not the way to go?

You can get almost the same degree of correction with orange foam or PFW, with a lot less hazing/etc. That means less abrasion required to clear up such artifacts, so less overall clear ends up removed to accomplish the same level of correction.

If a 4" orange/cyan/PFW pad can`t do it, I don`t think you *oughta* do it. I use pads like that to remove wetsanding marks on very hard clear (something else that takes numerous attempts).