PDA

View Full Version : So, I was talking to a friend of mine....

Pages : [1] 2

Biggestmexi
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
This was after I went to the local body shop supply store. They also denounced meg M105. Then proceeded to try to sell their products. 3M, Wizards, then something else.

He works at a local Auto Repair shop.

He also graduated from wyotech.

I called to ask if he could get me some supplies on the cheap since, bulk and all.

Wanted to get some M105

He said he didn`t get Meg`s, and they don`t use megs any way. He said they are bad compounds and use fillers(scratch fillers).

Says he only uses 3M compund. I said i didnt see much of that here, but I havent been around too long.

Then for some reason said that MEG`s compunds were no good at getting scratches out, just hides them.

Also went on to say that the wizards mist and shine is THEE best, which i actually have used, and its alright. But the wierd thing there is he said he gets it from California.....isnt wizards made in MN?

Then the last thing he said to me was: "Interior and exterior detailing that is done on high dollar cars is all done with soap and water, steel wool (size 00) on glass and the same on chrome wheels, dashes, and staind plastics, and paint all soap and water."

Am i silly that i think this is all odd?

Accumulator
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
..Am i silly that i think this is all odd?

It`s beyond "odd". You`re being BSed. If your "friend" was the one saying this stuff, I`d be looking for new friends.

EDIT: Nothing *wrong* with 3M and other brands. But there`s a lot wrong with what you were told.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry to break it to you but your "friend" doesn`t know what he is talking about... Plain and simple:woot:

MarcHarris
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Sorry to break it to you but your "friend" doesn`t know what he is talking about... Plain and simple:woot:

:sign

end of discussion

todd@bsaw
05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
What they said...

Also, 3M now owns Meguiar`s, btw.

nosbusa1700
05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
What they said...

Also, 3M now owns Meguiar`s, btw.

Correct.

Here`s the link.

meguiars.com: Press Release - 3M Company Acquires Meguiar`s Car Care Products Company (http://www.meguiars.com/press/release_viewer.cfm?selected_ID=184)

Mindflux
05-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Correct.

Here`s the link.

meguiars.com: Press Release - 3M Company Acquires Meguiar`s Car Care Products Company (http://www.meguiars.com/press/release_viewer.cfm?selected_ID=184)

Man I *TOTALLY* forgot about that. :rofl

bridgersmith
05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
A "body and paint" guy at a local parts store was asking why i needed so many pads and different polishes, and so many different grit sandpapers when you can just get the 3M trizak pads and polish the paint to perfection. If someone tells you something that you may question the first thing you do is come to this site and you will find the correct answer.

BigAl3
05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
you`ve seen the many talented Autopians on here that use M105 and do you think they would use it if it didn`t work? not to mention, Autopian standards are much much higher than most...

vtec92civic
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
wow. he should look for a new career because with info like that i don`t foresee him lasting to long as a auto body tech/detailer advice giver.

impulse922
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I think it is safe to say, this guy is a hack. Did you ask him if he only used wool pads too?

Mom2Boyz9600
05-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I think it is safe to say, this guy is a hack. Did you ask him if he only used wool pads too?

:soscared: HAHA!

MrCLRider
05-07-2010, 04:04 AM
Guys like your friend are probably those that keep us busy and looking good because they are the ones hacking up the cars that we end up fixing.

That shop just told you about 3M and Wizards because that is what they keep in stock and getting the Meguiars for you would just be a PITA for them because they would actually have to do something.

Biggestmexi
05-07-2010, 05:48 AM
you`ve seen the many talented Autopians on here that use M105 and do you think they would use it if it didn`t work? not to mention, Autopian standards are much much higher than most...

My point exactly. I was trying to call him to see if he would get me some.

lol.

Oh well.

I guess my standards arent that high.......

David Fermani
05-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Not surprised by this one bit. Very typical of pretty much the whole Body Shop industry in general in regards to Meg`s poor job of marketing themselves and creating awareness. Shops are still stuck in the 90`s.

This was after I went to the local body shop supply store. They also denounced meg M105. Then proceeded to try to sell their products. 3M, Wizards, then something else.

He works at a local Auto Repair shop.

He also graduated from wyotech.

I called to ask if he could get me some supplies on the cheap since, bulk and all.

Wanted to get some M105

He said he didn`t get Meg`s, and they don`t use megs any way. He said they are bad compounds and use fillers(scratch fillers).

Says he only uses 3M compund. I said i didnt see much of that here, but I havent been around too long.

Then for some reason said that MEG`s compunds were no good at getting scratches out, just hides them.

Also went on to say that the wizards mist and shine is THEE best, which i actually have used, and its alright. But the wierd thing there is he said he gets it from California.....isnt wizards made in MN?

Then the last thing he said to me was: "Interior and exterior detailing that is done on high dollar cars is all done with soap and water, steel wool (size 00) on glass and the same on chrome wheels, dashes, and staind plastics, and paint all soap and water."

Am i silly that i think this is all odd?