PDA

View Full Version : first real interior detail - advice?

skipdup
05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I`ve been searching and reading - mostly gotten myself throughly confused. :)

All of my previous vehicles have been new - and I am very easy on them. So, no real cleaning has ever been necessary.

Just bought an `86 Land Cruiser. Interior is in good original condition, but needs a really serious cleaning. Just 24 years of stuff.

I have a 6.5 HP shopvac, 20 gallon compressor, some spray bottles, 303 protectant, stoners glass, toothbrushes and maybe a few other things. Basically, just the very basics.

I`m about to order some Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner and an upholstery/carpet brush.

My plan is to use diluted APC on all the interior hard pieces, use toothbrush to dig grim out of the tight spots, controls, etc, wipe down with damp cloth and cover with 303.

Then might remove carpet (looks easy), pressure wash, stain treat (spray APC, agitate, vacuum out, maybe re-rinse with hose) then reinstall.

Seats are pretty clean. Not sure what if anything I should do. Headliner will be replaced with new.

Can anyone advise any additional steps, techniques, products, etc I should add?

Many thanks,

Skip

todd@bsaw
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hand scrubbing 24 years worth of grime out of a Land Cruisers carpet is going to be a lot of work. If you have a PC, I`d recommend picking up a brush attachment for it. It will cut your scrubbing time down tenfold.

If you are pressure washing it, spray until the water comes off clear. Make sure it is completely dry before reinstalling. You will probably need to clean underneath the carpet while it`s out for extremely soiled areas.

skipdup
05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Todd- Thanks!!

I DO have a porter cable - can`t believe I forgot to list that. Didn`t realize they made carpet attachments for that. I`ll definately get one.

Thanks again!

Skip