PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks notice-going full time now.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tssdetailing
05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
no more weekends and late nights after work. I`ve handed in my two weeks notice to the day-job boss and plan to be fruitful with my detailing endevours.

My question to you guys, do you think I should cut my prices at all? Click for ts|s service page. (http://www.tssdetailing.com/cincinnati-car-detailing.html) I initially went in with what I thought were higher prices so that the few details i`d do each week would result in good payback. Now that I NEED to count on this for daily work, i`m concidering knocking things down a few bucks to entice more sales. Does this alienate what people who have done work with me before will think? Does this make me look like I`m a fledgeling buisness man? Or does it come off as spring/summer special pricing? (I had planned to launch it as a 10% cut across all pricing stating they are sale prices).

imported_JoshVette
05-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I think you`re prices are just right, I would not change them at all...

...except for one, IMO the concourse treatment, needs to come up to at least $55 per hour to match your wetsanding service.

I can tell you from experience after you spend a week working on a car you`re not going to want to make $600 bucks, that`s not worth it, it needs to be more like 4 figures otherwise you`re making a little better then $100 per day.

People will try to talk you down and those are the ones you don`t want to detail for so let them go and be proud of your work.

If they do try to talk you down just let them know you can cut out the interior or whatever but don`t compromise your pricing.

When I first started doing this full time I only made $20,000 the first year and then I raised my prices to match the quality of work I perform, needless to say I actually got busier and doubled my income the following year. Now I can do fewer cars and still make as much money and more then before.

Josh

Mindflux
05-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I`m baffled by your Stage 1`s. You do a two step paint decontamination and a wax with plastic/rubber/vinyl treatment and shampoo carpets for $160? I guess i`d have to know what details are in your two-step decontamination, but that seems low with a carpet shampoo.

Then again it varies by region...

Either way, congrats on full time detailing! It`s hard work but (most of the time) it`s rewarding to see the end result.

tssdetailing
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I`m baffled by your Stage 1`s. You do a two step paint decontamination and a wax with plastic/rubber/vinyl treatment and shampoo carpets for $160? I guess i`d have to know what details are in your two-step decontamination, but that seems low with a carpet shampoo.

Then again it varies by region...

Either way, congrats on full time detailing! It`s hard work but (most of the time) it`s rewarding to see the end result.

lol, great if i`m confusing detailers i can only wonder how my customers feel! I kid, I kid! NO, it`s a 2 step wash + clay. So I`ll wash the car once, clay it, then wash it again, then wax. Most of the time, i luck on on interiors where only the floor mats are soiled-for that I have the brush attachement on the Flex. Anything else i use a spot treatment too.

Thanks for the good feedback so far guys! I was worried that I`d have to sacrifice

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I too think your prices are more than fair. Two things I would add/chage...

1. Incorporate more services (interior only, wash & wax, maybe even wash only for those weeks you`re not busy and need that to get some $$ rolling in). I think wash at $60 might be a bit high but including a wash & wax at $60-80 might be a good in between service.

2. Combine the Concours treatment and wet sanding services and do it at $55/hr. I`d call it Concours and then mention in the description that wetsanding will be done if necessary after you have inspected the paint with the client. This way you don`t have to raise the price on just the Concours and people will understand why it`s at $55/hr and not $30.

Best of luck! I might be going the same route pretty damn soon here.

tssdetailing
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
jsut making sure: is everyone looking at this with the eyes of the customer, not the expectations of a detailer. When I do that, i still think i`m high.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
jsut making sure: is everyone looking at this with the eyes of the customer, not the expectations of a detailer. When I do that, i still think i`m high.

I`m looking from the customer`s point of view. Your stage 1 is basically wash & wax, clay, and interior. My Basic Exterior Detail (wash, clay, wax) starts at $100 and interior is $25-50 usually (no shampoo) so compared to my prices you`re right on. I would just add a note that extremely filthy interiors will cost more. I`ve seen even corner wash places charge a good $100-150 for interior only when it needs a thorough cleaning for a couple hours. Just something to think about it.

I do think you need to more cleanly explain the differences between stage 1 2 3 because I can`t really tell the diff with 2 and 3 especially, other than engine detail... is it one more polishing step?

Mindflux
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I`ve seen even corner wash places charge a good $100-150 for interior only when it needs a thorough cleaning for a couple hours. Just something to think about it.

He does have some clause on the page about extra dirty stuff costing more. (Mobile Car Detailing in Cincinnati, Covington, Florence, Hamilton from ts|s (http://www.tssdetailing.com/car-detailing-faq.html#neglectedFee))

I do think you need to more cleanly explain the differences between stage 1 2 3 because I can`t really tell the diff with 2 and 3 especially, other than engine detail... is it one more polishing step?

I agree, more words to help differentiate the packages.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
He does have some clause on the page about extra dirty stuff costing more. (Mobile Car Detailing in Cincinnati, Covington, Florence, Hamilton from ts|s (http://www.tssdetailing.com/car-detailing-faq.html#neglectedFee))

I agree, more words to help differentiate the packages.

Yea but that should be on the services page along with all the prices, not the FAQ page in my opinion.

As for packages, I think a list in rows below the name would work great.

rdorman
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Congrats Jaison! I know you will see me again. I have had other ask but when I told them you where in Cincy that was the end of that. Are going to consider travel within a reasonable radius?

tssdetailing
05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
ts|s services 2.0 (http://www.tssdetailing.com/cincinnati-car-detailing.html)

all right, i re-worded a lot, and revisited the titles to the specified services-giving the page a bit more attitude and touch of my own personality

tssdetailing
05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Congrats Jaison! I know you will see me again. I have had other ask but when I told them you where in Cincy that was the end of that. Are going to consider travel within a reasonable radius?

Thank you, Rick! Anything is worth traveling for if the client is willing to foot the expense.

Mindflux
05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Thank you, Rick! Anything is worth traveling for if the client is willing to foot the expense.

Just FYI I charge $0.50/mi outside of my typical radius. :) You could consider that.

So if I work in a 30 mile radius and a client is 40/mi out I charge them an addl $10 bucks extra. (10 miles each direction out of my way).

It`s a small fee and most clients don`t balk if you do the work they expect.

imported_Ivan Rajic
05-05-2010, 01:24 PM
ts|s services 2.0 (http://www.tssdetailing.com/cincinnati-car-detailing.html)

all right, i re-worded a lot, and revisited the titles to the specified services-giving the page a bit more attitude and touch of my own personality

Looks a lot better. I`m just concerned that people won`t really justify a whole $100 bill for just an engine detail... I don`t know what success you`ve had with that specific service (stage 3) but from an outsider`s point of view $100 is a lot for an engine detail.

todd@bsaw
05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Just FYI I charge $0.50/mi outside of my typical radius. :) You could consider that.

So if I work in a 30 mile radius and a client is 40/mi out I charge them an addl $10 bucks extra. (10 miles each direction out of my way).

It`s a small fee and most clients don`t balk if you do the work they expect.

I charge the same mileage, but only charge one way. Although I have a client set up an appointment with me that lives 150 miles away and I may be rethinking that policy in the future.

$100 is a lot for an engine detail...