PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin Mitt marringpaint ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

gav'spurplez
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I polished my camaro today....it is garage kept and only gets driven on sunny weekend, evening days.................It does collect some dust.....but I always wash very carefully.

I just purchased a foam gun to help aid in the pre wash rinse. I have washed the car a hand full of times so far this spring season and it seems to have been marred pretty good.

I use a MF WW to dry after using a leaf blower to remove most of the water....

I usually polish with menzerna....sometimes glaze with vanilla moose and always seal with wolfgang concourse liquid ( love the slickness ) are there fillers that are washing away ??

I purchased the sheepskin/lambswool mitt from a popular supplier`s website...

anyone else have this problem ???????????

RaskyR1
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,

I polished my camaro today....it is garage kept and only gets driven on sunny weekend, evening days.................It does collect some dust.....but I always wash very carefully.

I just purchased a foam gun to help aid in the pre wash rinse. I have washed the car a hand full of times so far this spring season and it seems to have been marred pretty good.

I use a MF WW to dry after using a leaf blower to remove most of the water....

I usually polish with menzerna....sometimes glaze with vanilla moose and always seal with wolfgang concourse liquid ( love the slickness ) are there fillers that are washing away ??

I purchased the sheepskin/lambswool mitt from a popular supplier`s website...

anyone else have this problem ???????????

Never had a problem with a natural sheepskin mitt before...the synthetic ones can marr though.

gav'spurplez
05-05-2010, 05:48 AM
is there a way to tell the differece................ ?

the mitt wasnt cheap, so i would like to know if i got ripped off

a.k.a. Patrick
05-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Does it have a "pelt" backing? Anything over $10.00 is .....too much!

imported_JoshVette
05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Unless you got a large clump of tar or oil on that mitt I highly doubt the mitt is marring the surface if you`re prerinsing, washing, rerinsing and blowing dry.

Accumulator
05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
[Accumulator climbs onto his carwash-topic soapbox...]

Here`s how I test my wash media:

Needed- wash medium to be tested, bucket of shampoo solution, unmarred CD.

Test procedure:

-Dunk medium in shampoo solution, make sure things get not only saturated but also softened up (this can take a little while, something to consider when you wash too)

-Use shampoo-sodden medium to "wash" the data side of the CD, using the same amount of pressure you`d use when washing the vehicle

-Inspect CD for marring, using good lighting and magnification if needed

Once you ascertain that all your wash media are safe in-and-of themselves, you can start worrying about how to use them to move potentially abrasive dirt across-and-off the paint without marring it. That`s the tricky part.

Here`s a very short version of how I wash when using only mitts and a foamgun (i.e., in the absence of a BHB):

I don`t consider the primary function of the foamgun to be the prerinse, in fact I hardly do that at all (just a cursory spray to "prewet" the surface). The big benefit IMO is the way the foamgun can provide constant flushing and lubrication of the surface being washed; it`s a "dislodge and flush" approach. Here`s my take on it:

The idea is to spray the foamgun output at the point where the wash medium contacts the paint.

Fill the mitt with shampoo solution and hold it shut at the cuff. Gently move the mitt short, interrupted, "jiggling" motions while spraying the foamgun output at the point of contact. Rinse out the mitt frequently, at the very least do it as soon as the shampoo you`ve filled it with stops seeping out.

Always inspect the mitt for residual dirt that didn`t rinse out before refilling it with wash solution and resuming work.

Don`t be surprised if the above approach is so gentle that you have to wash some areas more than once.

gav'spurplez
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
a.k.a. patrick - i guess I`m not sure what pelt backing is....and i may have spent around the $10 mark

josh - no tar or built up residue or foreign objects in the mitt ( i use a different wash mitt for 6 different vehicles within the household, mom/dad/g/f and my vehicles )

accumulator - sounds like a good test, i will try "washing" a cd and see how my mitts do

thanks again for all the support

RaskyR1
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
a.k.a. patrick - i guess I`m not sure what pelt backing is....and i may have spent around the $10 mark

josh - no tar or built up residue or foreign objects in the mitt ( i use a different wash mitt for 6 different vehicles within the household, mom/dad/g/f and my vehicles )

accumulator - sounds like a good test, i will try "washing" a cd and see how my mitts do

thanks again for all the support

Just make sure it says natural lambs wool or sheepskin on it and you should be fine. The synthetic ones found on some of the auto part chain stores are often synthetic and feel noticeably different.

gav'spurplez
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
i bought one years ago, not sure from which site......and its great....too bad i have demoted it already

i bought 2 new mitts for my new truck and for the camaro..................hell, the one i use for the truck is losing its fibers.

i think i got the raw end

efnfast
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I`ve tried sheepskin, tenticle mitts, pretty much everything under the sun.

the ONLY thing I`ve ever been able to wash COMPLETELY marr is autogeek purple cobra jrs and ONR

gav'spurplez
05-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I`ve tried sheepskin, tenticle mitts, pretty much everything under the sun.

the ONLY thing I`ve ever been able to wash COMPLETELY marr is autogeek purple cobra jrs and ONR

did you mean marr free ??

i honestly cant see myself washing all vehicles all the time with ONR....something about a bucket of soapy water and the hose that does the trick for me:think:

efnfast
05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
yea, I meant marr free.

I was exactly like that my first times using ONR. Was totally :nervous2::nervous2::nervous2::nervous2:

But after 2yrs (or so) of using it, like I said, I can wash COMPELTELY marr free. I was never able to do that with the old fashioned method, unless I had a harder clearcoat. However, with ONR, soft or hard clearcoat, no problems ever.

gav'spurplez
05-06-2010, 05:43 AM
i may have to try this, i use ONR in the winter to still be able to hand wash the cars.

not too many swirls or marring on a new black truck.....some polishing will need to be done....but nothing horrible.

right now, my truck has big dirty water spots and is covered in dust.....i park in a dirt tornado......damn assigned parking @ work......really ignorant, but what can i do ?

thats what makes me nervous about the ONR wash.....maybe a foam gun pre rinse, and then ONR ?

Accumulator
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
..But after 2yrs (or so) of using it, like I said, I can wash COMPELTELY marr free. I was never able to do that with the old fashioned method, unless I had a harder clearcoat. However, with ONR, soft or hard clearcoat, no problems ever.

Whereas *I* have to do it my foamgun-centric way to avoid marring. Gotta admit I didn`t try ONRing for a few years though, not wanting to try fixing an approach that wasn`t broken.

Glad all you people are having good rusults with the ONR. (Some folks think I`m always slamming ONR, but that`s not the case ;) )

..thats what makes me nervous about the ONR wash.....maybe a foam gun pre rinse, and then ONR ?

I dunno...the foamgun prep-rinse never does all that much for me. It`s the mechanical agitation of the wash that gets stuff off. Now a prerinse/prewash with a pressure washer would be a different story!

gav'spurplez
05-06-2010, 11:43 AM
i just want to get all the loose dirt and dust off the paint before i go rubbing the mitt or whatever all over the place..........maybe i should have bought a white truck........