PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Garage Random Orbital - Counter Weight Question

a_guerrajr
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

Well i was using a PC7424, then I bought a PC7424XP, i sold it and bought this GG`s 6" polisher. I`m curious if it only comes with the counter weight for the 6" pads made by GG`s? If i want to use smaller pads like 5.5" or 4" will i need to purchase a smaller counter-weight? If so wheres a good place to buy the counter weights?

I spoke with GG`s support, and they don`t offer smaller counter weights, they also don`t "Recommend" using a smaller size pad than 6". however with the right counter weight that shouln`t be an issue.

I`m sure there are some of you out there using GG`s 6" RO w/ 5.5 or smaller pads...?

Thanks

Accumulator
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I haven`t tried it with the GG polisher yet, but I use the larger counterweight with all sizes of pads on my PC with zero problems. I can`t imagine it`d be an issue with the GG, but that`s just an educated guess. I sure won`t be worrying about it when I do finally use a 4" pad on mine ;)

Barry Theal
05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Accumulator, did you see the new varible speed cyclo yet?

a_guerrajr
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Well i found it here...

Porter-Cable Backing Pads, Polishing Pads & Counterweights (http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/pads.html)

it`s about the third item down.

Accumulator
05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Accumulator, did you see the new varible speed cyclo yet?

No, I haven`t seen that! Huh...took `em long enough to come out with that, sorta interesting how they`ve been doing so much product development recently (the counterweights, the E2K adaptors, and now this). Not like the old days when Cyclo stuff went unchanged for ages.

OK, I`ll go over to Cyclotoolmakers dot com and see what`s up, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

a_guerrajr
05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Bump , anyone else?

MrCLRider
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
I am also interested in knowing this bc I have a new Griots on the way. I never had an issue with the Meguiars G110 that I had and the 5" BP with the 5.5" pads, and honestly don`t know that the 5" counterweight would make that big a difference. Looking forward to some answers.

MrCLRider
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I just email Griots, I will let you know what they say.

a_guerrajr
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I just email Griots, I will let you know what they say.

probably the same thing they told me over the phone.

although the chick had to put me on hold to get a we don`t really know answer.

a_guerrajr
05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
so i guess my question is can i use a counter weight made for larger than 6" pads on pads that are 5.5" ?

i know when you go up in pad size the bigger counter weight is needed, but i`m not sure if when it`s smaller, does the small rule apply?

a_guerrajr
05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I got my answer from tech support at Autogeek.

Griots doesn`t make a CW to go larger than any pads over 6.5"

however the one on there will work for pads smaller thant 6"

Accumulator
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Note that there are a scad of reasons why a GG rep would say not to use smaller pads...or pads from other sources for that matter.

If the polisher acts squirrely with smaller pads, I`d just turn down the speed a bit, which I often do with 4" pads anyhow.