PDA

View Full Version : product recommendation?

Riktar
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I have a couple questions regarding some products ive been reading about so i wanted to run them by you folks :D

I will be using these on an Infiniti G35 Coupe Ivory Pearl (white) and using a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Wheels

-P21s Gel vs. Meguairs Wheel Brightener

Polish

-Meguiars M205 vs OPT opti-seal vs Menz. Final Polish II

Sealant

Havent really used any sealants before but Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant`s reviews had me drooling.. so i might pick it up :chuckle:

Waxes

-I`ve been using Meguiars NXT 2.0 but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any recommendations/comments about any of the products posted up there feel free to let me know, or if you know a product works better with nissan/infiniti paint than with others.

Thanks in advance,

-Riktar

akimel
05-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Sealant

Havent really used any sealants before but Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant`s reviews had me drooling.. so i might pick it up :chuckle:

I`ve read the same reviews. Sounds like a good product to try.

I really like Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Waxes

-I`ve been using Meguiars NXT 2.0 but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

NXT is actually a 100% synthetic sealant. There are lots of good carnauba waxes out there. Here are a few to consider: Victoria Concours Red (http://victoriawax.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=256&category_id=60), P21S 100%, Pinnacle Souveran, Harly Wax, MaxWax, Natty`s Blue.

DM101
05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I like the Men. final polish II and another vote for BFWD.

todd@bsaw
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I have a couple questions regarding some products ive been reading about so i wanted to run them by you folks :D

I will be using these on an Infiniti G35 Coupe Ivory Pearl (white) and using a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Wheels

-P21s Gel vs. Meguairs Wheel Brightener

Polish

-Meguiars M205 vs OPT opti-seal vs Menz. Final Polish II

Sealant

Waxes

If you have any recommendations/comments about any of the products posted up there feel free to let me know, or if you know a product works better with nissan/infiniti paint than with others.

Thanks in advance,

-Riktar

I would go for the P21s Wheel Gel, Megs 205, Megs 21 sealant and topped with Collinite.

Opti-seal isn`t a polish, by the way. Were you thinking Optimum Final Polish?

Riktar
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Hehe :nervous: i though opti seal was a polish :p, ive seen a few good reviews of meg. 105 + 205 but according to an Abrasives Chart (http://craigdt.web.officelive.com/abrasives.aspx) i saw posted on the forums it looks like its slightly more abraisive than poliseal and final polish II so i just though they would finish better than 205 but i might be mistaken.

so as far as sealants it`s down to Blackfire wet diamond, menz. polymer sealant, and meg. 21 sealant.

I was leaning towards p21s gel but had to throw Meg. Wheel Brightener for competition :D

I just looked up collinite and i read this on their site " Collinite Super Double coat will last a full year, even under adverse conditions. " a year ? is that accurate cuz.. I`ve never had a wax last more than a month then again, I`ve used OTC products i`ll just read up on all the other recommendations.

thanks all for chiming in and helping a newbie out :heelclick

todd@bsaw
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
In my opinion, you could even skip a sealant and use only the Collinite (845 or 476). Yes, it does last that long, although a year may be stretching it. I have seen it last 9 months... just as long as any sealant I`ve tried. Personally, I think it looks great on any pearl white as well, which is why I recommended it.

Of course the reviews on the Menzerna sealant look good and it`s always fun to try something new.

akimel
05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I was leaning towards p21s gel but had to throw Meg. Wheel Brightener for competition :D

Everyone seems to love the P21S wheel cleaner. The only complaint I hear about it is its price.

Megs` Wheel Brightener is very strong and needs to be used with care. The real question is whether you need such a strong cleaner. My guess is that you probably don`t, as you are no doubt maintaining your wheels regularly.

As an alternative, take a look at Griot`s Wheel Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-wheel-cleaner.html). It`s less expensive than the P21S. I am impressed with the stuff.

If you`re considering the Collinites, I suggest you begin with 845. It`s easier to apply and remove than 476s, and durability is top notch. And the beading is incredible. Excellent product.

todd@bsaw
05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Megs` Wheel Brightener is very strong and needs to be used with care. The real question is whether you need such a strong cleaner. My guess is that you probably don`t, as you are no doubt maintaining your wheels regularly.

That`s one reason I say away from anything labeled a "wheel brightener". Not only are they possibly dangerous to wheels but also very unhealthy.

Riktar
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
wow thanks i`ll def pick up p21s for the initial cleaning since i rarely every do the inner wheel barrel and maintain them from then on with the griot wheel cleaner. I have tiny black dots on the finish of my wheels especially in corners and tried to get em out with various otc products but never seemed to do the trick. hope these two will help.

sacdetailing
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
wow thanks i`ll def pick up p21s for the initial cleaning since i rarely every do the inner wheel barrel and maintain them from then on with the griot wheel cleaner. I have tiny black dots on the finish of my wheels especially in corners and tried to get em out with various otc products but never seemed to do the trick. hope these two will help.

try to use bug and tar remover, it worked on mine, spray it and wait a little bit, then remove it.

Accumulator
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
..I just looked up collinite and i read this on their site " Collinite Super Double coat will last a full year, even under adverse conditions. " a year ? is that accurate...

Nah, not even close, at least not if you drive the car :chuckle: It`s just more ad-copy hyperbole.

Hey, I really like Collinite and use/recommend 476S (be careful about trying to layer it though). But it sure never lasted a year on anything of mine that was actually being used/washed.

Only thing that lasts that long for me is at least six layers of KSG.

Riktar
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
I don`t mind it not lasting a year but as long as it retains some of the original shine/gloss for a good 2-3month or so I`m sold. Not sure what you mean by layering it (obviously you mean multiple coats) but I`ll def look into how to "layer" wax lol. Learning something everyday heh :D

oh and what`s KSG lol

Accumulator
05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I don`t mind it not lasting a year but as long as it retains some of the original shine/gloss for a good 2-3month or so I`m sold. Not sure what you mean by layering it (obviously you mean multiple coats) but I`ll def look into how to "layer" wax lol. Learning something everyday heh :D

oh and what`s KSG lol

I`ll try to save you some SEARCHing.

Yeah, layering is tricky with 476S, you can get weird "psuedo-holograms" that look like somebody botched the polishing. Best approach I`ve found with Collinite is to use one coat of 845, topped with one coat of 476S, followed by subsequent coats (about as many/few as you want) of 845.

KSG = Klasse Sealant Glaze. VERY durable if layered, somewhat finicky to work with, only looks OK on basically perfect finishes and even then the look is rather "plasticy".

The Collinite ought work fine for you, and redoing 845 is a breeze. My niece-in-law couldn`t care less about detailing, but she does her pretty-big vehicle with 845 no problem at all.