PDA

View Full Version : Abrasions...

Mom2Boyz9600
05-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I had swirl marks and what looked like abrasions in a circular pattern. After much research on here and lots of help from all of you I did clay bar, polish, and wax and the car looks incredible. But, there still are a few of the abrasions, is this something that is deeper then the clay bar process gets to? If not does anyone have any suggestions I can do?

nushine31223
05-03-2010, 02:07 PM
clay wont remove scratches in the first place

vtec92civic
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
you need to:

wash, clay, polish then wax.

Wax serves are a form of protection from the elements our cars endure. Depending on how bad the marks are you can probably use a mild to medium polish. If they appear to be really heavy you may need a compound.

post some photo`s and we can help guide you in the right direction.

Warning! You can not do this by hand so you will need a machine to aid you in polishing out the defects.

Accumulator
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I had swirl marks and what looked like abrasions in a circular pattern. After much research on here and lots of help from all of you I did clay bar, polish, and wax and the car looks incredible. But, there still are a few of the abrasions, is this something that is deeper then the clay bar process gets to? If not does anyone have any suggestions I can do?

You need to use a different polish. One that`s sufficiently abrasive to "level" the paint. It`s like sanding a piece of wood smooth to "remove" scratches in it; you`re really bringing the surrounding surface down to the level of the scratches so everything`s smooth and even.

How much do you care? It`d be opening a can of worms in some ways, especially if you don`t have an electric polisher.

Mom2Boyz9600
05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
I care a lot! I did wash, clay, polish, and wax. I used an electric polisher, but wasn`t too aggressive because it was my first time. Someone told me not to use too harsh of a polish if it was my first time., maybe that was the problem.

Has anyone heard of "fish eyes" ??? And if so how important is that?

Accumulator
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I care a lot! I did wash, clay, polish, and wax. I used an electric polisher, but wasn`t too aggressive because it was my first time. Someone told me not to use too harsh of a polish if it was my first time., maybe that was the problem...

OK, then yeah...maybe you need a more aggressive approach, or just more tries with whatever you used last time.

Those are almost always unique to repaints. There`s no real fix other than having the affected area repainted. I`d live with `em (that`s what I do when I decide to *not* have the painter redo his work).

vtec92civic
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I care a lot! I did wash, clay, polish, and wax. I used an electric polisher, but wasn`t too aggressive because it was my first time. Someone told me not to use too harsh of a polish if it was my first time., maybe that was the problem.

fish eyes are from painting and usually will come out with a color sand and buff job.

The key when doing any sort of paint correction on a vehicle is by starting with the least aggressive method first and work your way up. You don`t want to take off any more then you really need to in order to correct the defects you are after.

I would invest in a DA machine to help you out:

Griot`s has a life time warranty

Meguiars G110v2 & PCXP are also some great machines to consider in aiding you in the removal of those defects and you can also use those machines to apply wax as well.