PDA

View Full Version : Know Anyone who Sells Cars?

John_K
05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Works in a dealer`s financing department? How do they like the job? Are they happy doing it? What is the work/life balance? Is it a decent paying (above $40k IMO) field? Any cool perks that come with it?

I`m considering switching careers and I`d thought I would gather some information before I decide where to go look. I`m thinking of moving more into sales as I`m getting tired of living behind a desk.

Thanks for your comments...

John

PS I haven`t given up on detailing cars on the side, I just rather would find something more fulfilling in the day!

David Fermani
05-02-2010, 01:35 PM
You usually need to sell cars before going into the F & I department. Pretty much every F & I guy I know of makes +$100K and gets a demo.

Dan
05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
You usually need to sell cars before going into the F & I department. Pretty much every F & I guy I know of makes +$100K and gets a demo.

The money is there at good volume dealerships, but depending on which one you work at, you may have to throw your ethics out the window. Along with your ethics, forget about your free time with the family on any day except for Sunday. Things really vary by dealership though.

David Fermani
05-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Ethics? Show me 1 guy in the F & I Dept that has ethics.

imported_paintxpert
05-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I am the F and I guy when I sell a car. All you need to know is they bring the cash and buy the car. I have a 2001 Mercedes S-500V with 53000 original miles on it, 14K takes it away. No F and I would not interest me. To much desk, if you know what I mean. My DESK days are long over, thank GOD! Besides I dont need a dealer car, I have six cars now, some never get driven because I dont have time. Be Well!

imported_paintxpert
05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Ethics at many dealer is a RARE commodity. Dealers will stab you in the back and hide the knife. REMEMBER THAT and your safe. I bought many cars from dealers sometimes they have the nice cars. I bought my Jag from a dealer, I bought my Cougar from a dealer. I bought my Lincoln LSC from a dealer, I bought my ETC from a dealer. I bought my Saleen from a private one owner party, that I think is the ideal way to purchase a car. I am looking for a Mustang Fastback now. A dealer in Florida has the car I want. I have to pay through the nose if I want it.

John_K
05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am just wanting to get out of my day job. I`m tired of doing what I went to school for. It isn`t fun and I don`t want to do keep doing it for another 20 years.

I LOVE automotive stuff, so I want to get a job dealing with cars in some way, but I need to make at least $40k to maintain my current standard of living.