PDA

View Full Version : layering sealant/wax question?

imported_sblue
04-30-2010, 08:48 PM
When you guys do layers of sealant/wax in a 12/24hr period, do you QD the vehicle when your applying your second layer (next day or 12hrs later)? I ask because I am going to do a jetseal CG 50/50 combo and dont know if using a QD will keep the 50/50 from forming a good bond. My vehicle will be garaged so dust will be pretty minimal if any? Also sorry if this is such a noob question, i`ve been doing tons of reading on this forum and have found some good stuff but couldnt search anything about this?

For years I would just use a quality nuba and spray wax for maintenance. This will be the first time layering for me.

Thanks

imported_paintxpert
04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
To me if you know how to polish layering is a waste of time. Cover all your vehicles in the garage. Dust can scratch paint. Wood dust is very sharp. All my stuff is covered in the garages. If you care about it.....cover it. Layering has nothing over optically perfect if the paint is capable. You dont mention a car type. Paintxpert

imported_sblue
04-30-2010, 10:47 PM
To me if you know how to polish layering is a waste of time. Cover all your vehicles in the garage. Dust can scratch paint. Wood dust is very sharp. All my stuff is covered in the garages. If you care about it.....cover it. Layering has nothing over optically perfect if the paint is capable. You dont mention a car type. Paintxpert

I`m mainly going for protection more so than shine. The paint im going to be working on is new bmw (my dd).

Toymachine2009
04-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Bump. I would also like to know if more layers = more protection!

Accumulator
05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Some products layer and some don`t. Generally, sealants *do* and waxes *might*.

Some of the "waxes that don`t layer" sure do last a whole lot longer for me when I do multiple applications, so I`m the last guy to say that layering is always a waste of time. BUT...I`d do some experimenting to make sure that it`s not and I`d consider doing some kind of spit-shining with waxes. Find out if it works for *you* and then do what works and don`t bother with what doesn`t work. And don`t sweat it if your results are different from what people say "oughta happen" ;)

Also, beware of pseudo-holograms if you try layering. Some products (waxes like 476S and sealants like FK1000P) can drive you nuts with this. It`s presumably a matter of solvent-action messing with the previously applied layer and spit-shining and/or a *very* gentle application of the subsequent layers are ways to try mitigating that.

I`ve always suspected that some QDs, the "leaves a lot of stuff behind" ones, might interfere with layering. But it never seems to work out that way (much to my relief). If you`re concerned that there might be some contamination on the finish, then yeah...try to clean it off as gently as possible. Try to pick a QD that`s likely to be compatible with your LSP(s).

I`d try layering the JetSeal as opposed to the 50/50, and I`d definitely spit-shine the latter if you want to try layering it. But hey, I`ve never used either one so what do I know about them :nixweiss

imported_sblue
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Some products layer and some don`t. Generally, sealants *do* and waxes *might*.

Some of the "waxes that don`t layer" sure do last a whole lot longer for me when I do multiple applications, so I`m the last guy to say that layering is always a waste of time. BUT...I`d do some experimenting to make sure that it`s not and I`d consider doing some kind of spit-shining with waxes. Find out if it works for *you* and then do what works and don`t bother with what doesn`t work. And don`t sweat it if your results are different from what people say "oughta happen" ;)

Also, beware of pseudo-holograms if you try layering. Some products (waxes like 476S and sealants like FK1000P) can drive you nuts with this. It`s presumably a matter of solvent-action messing with the previously applied layer and spit-shining and/or a *very* gentle application of the subsequent layers are ways to try mitigating that.

I`ve always suspected that some QDs, the "leaves a lot of stuff behind" ones, might interfere with layering. But it never seems to work out that way (much to my relief). If you`re concerned that there might be some contamination on the finish, then yeah...try to clean it off as gently as possible. Try to pick a QD that`s likely to be compatible with your LSP(s).

I`d try layering the JetSeal as opposed to the 50/50, and I`d definitely spit-shine the latter if you want to try layering it. But hey, I`ve never used either one so what do I know about them :nixweiss

Great stuff Accumulator! I think this time around i`m just going to be layering the jet seal. Prior to my second coat the next day, i`ll hit it lightly with a QD.

JohnKleven
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I will generally let the car stay in my shop overnight, then dust off with compressed air, and thoroughly wipe down with Zymol duster before applying a second, or third coat of wax.

John

Scottwax
05-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I`m mainly going for protection more so than shine. The paint im going to be working on is new bmw (my dd).

Two thin layers to ensure full coverage is all you need and adding more wax/sealant isn`t going to improve durability that I`ve ever been able to determine. Layering to me seems to be a way for manufacturers to get you to go through product more quickly.

Accumulator
05-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Regulars here know that Scottwax and I aren`t gonna :argue But just note how experiences can vary.

Find what works for *you* and then just stick with it.

FWIW, the *big* success I`ve had with layering is with KSG. Once I get more than four layers built up I can expect to go a long, long time without redoing it, but fewer layers only last a few months. Other products usually aren`t as dramatic, but if you do a decently controlled test (equalize the start-times ;) ) it`s easy enough to figure out whether layering is worth doing.

I`ve quit trying to layer #16 and I dunno if I`m gonna bother doing it with FK1000P and UPP again or not.