PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top care

efnfast
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Aside from washing it with ONR (because we all know ONR > * ), are there any particular tips and tricks to upkeeping its appearance? Any really great established products to use on it?

I searched, but a lot of the references I pull up are from like 02/03. ..... just a tad bit old :laugh:

VanityDetailing
04-27-2010, 07:00 PM
I`ve had a lot of luck with this...

BOAT COVERS BIMINI TOPS AWNINGS: CANVAS CLEANER: Meguiar`s Marine/RV (http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product/Boat-Covers-Bimini-Tops-Awnings/Canvas-Cleaner)

Yes, it`s intended for bimini tops and awnings for yachts, but it works really well on convertible tops, too.

loco
04-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Lots of people use 303 or Raggtopp protectants. They both have formulations for vinyl or cloth. Both work very well.

efnfast
04-28-2010, 11:43 AM
stupid question - how do you tell the difference between vinyl and cloth? It`s for an 04 mustang, so I assume it`s vinyl?

Street5927
04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I have used the RaggTopp cleaner and protectant and absolutely loved both products.

As far as knowing, I guess an easy way to find out is to pull a mf towel over it, and if it lints badly, it is probably cloth. It also feels like cloth. The vinyl tops commonly feel and look like interior vinyl. It is hard to explain, but I hope you understand what I am getting at.

efnfast
04-30-2010, 11:27 AM
What about general vinyl products like M40? Can/should those be used, or should you only try to apply stuff directly meant for `vert tops?

rybo69
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I just dealt with my first convertible top. I talked to a person at Autogeek and he told me the way check was to take a shot glass of water pour it on the top and rub with my finger and if it rubbed in then its fabric and if it ran off its vinyl. I might have wasted my money but I bought a kit for fabric and one for vinyl. We will find out I guess.