PDA

View Full Version : anyone seen this b4 ?! ref decal removal

steck
04-27-2010, 11:38 AM
i did decal removal on a 2002 Cadillac DTS, with heat followed by 3M adhesive remover.

i had to use wool with Megs diamond cut compound, and followed by Megs #80 and then Megs #21.

the area was slick as ever.

today i drove it around, and its pretty dusty around here. i (ofcourse) stepped back to admire the car, and noticed the words `Cadillac` in the DUST where the decal was.

i went to the rear, where i removed the "32 Valve Northstar" emblem, and observed dust outlining the old (previous) emblem there too..?

:nixweiss

i will post up pics and see if they will show the interesting dilemma...

steck
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
i should add, that i previously did this on my DTS, with no similar result ?

Biggestmexi
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
when i did it on my grand prox i used WD40 to remove the residue.

That is what i did though.

Accumulator
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
IME residual artifacts from emblems/decals sometimes take a while to disappear completely. I myself just live with `em and let time and subsequent polishing (done for reasons *other* than said artifacts) take care of things.

Heh heh...the "STS" and "32V NORTHSTAR" badge from my STS have been stuck to my rollaway since forever; I debadged it the day I took it home.

steck
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
IME residual artifacts from emblems/decals sometimes take a while to disappear completely. I myself just live with `em and let time and subsequent polishing (done for reasons *other* than said artifacts) take care of things.

hard to believe the `residual`s stick around after a good rodgering with a rotary, heavy compound and wool !!

but you gotta believe it, cause its there...

actually wondering if the clear coat absorbed some of the adhesive and its molecular structure had changed...but that hurt my brain.

Heh heh...the "STS" and "32V NORTHSTAR" badge from my STS have been stuck to my rollaway since forever; I debadged it the day I took it home.

schaweeet !

steck
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
they were cleaning the roads today...very dusty..almost thought i was losing my mind..

the surface area was squeeky clean after 3m adhesive removal..then buffed to perfection....

then this !!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/steck/kdjstecho/P1010014.jpg?t=1272412452

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/steck/kdjstecho/P1010013.jpg?t=1272412556

weird

Biggestmexi
04-28-2010, 05:35 AM
did you try th WD?

Jarreds
04-28-2010, 07:24 AM
I think the clear coat can absorb something from the adhesive and swell. I just remover the "Charger" vinyl on the back of an older charger and had to wetsand it down to level the clear.

Accumulator
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
i should add, that i previously did this on my DTS, with no similar result ?

Different situation somehow... :nixweiss

hard to believe the `residual`s stick around after a good rodgering with a rotary, heavy compound and wool !!

but you gotta believe it, cause its there...

Heh heh, doesn`t it get to ya when something seems impossible but you see it with your own eyes?!?

I`d just live with it (and maybe consider it motivation to keep the car clean). If you wetsand be sure to (somehow) keep the texture of the sanded areas similar to that of the rest of the car, otherwise you`ll end up having to wetsand the whole thing.

salty
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I like it, ghost emblems.

JohnKleven
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
You can wetsand the area, and it will go away. I have seen this before.

John

VanityDetailing
04-28-2010, 11:49 PM
It took 2 months after I debadged my Maxima before the "tanlines" went away.

vtec92civic
04-29-2010, 01:10 AM
wow that`s trippy man LoL. You can swipe your finger through the dust and it goes away but when dust gets back on the car it spells out Cadillac

steck
04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
You can wetsand the area, and it will go away. I have seen this before.

might have to wetsand, we`ll wait and see..

It took 2 months after I debadged my Maxima before the "tanlines" went away.

i told the owner about the issue, to wait a bit, and he didnt seem concerned - i`m hoping your right !!

wow that`s trippy man LoL. You can swipe your finger through the dust and it goes away but when dust gets back on the car it spells out Cadillac

trippy is right. its a new one for me. if others have learned from it - all the better..and the #1 reason `autopia` is here in the 1st place...to learn !