PDA

View Full Version : Parking lot parking

CharlesW
01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Rather than hi-jack a thread about a parking lot problem, I thought I would start a different one.

1. Parking at the outer reaches of the lot usually works for me. I have never had the vandalism problem from it, but I have often found another vehicle parked next to me when there had to be 50 places closer to the store.

2. It`s a joke in our household. I can either drop you off at the door or you can walk back with me.

3. I used to park so far from our office and so far from a nearby restaurant that a co-worker once asked me why I didn`t just walk to lunch.

4. One thing that might help is really checking over the parking lots you use regularly. Most seem to have a few spaces near walkways or curbs where you can hug the side away from other vehicles.
Many also have wider spaces in some areas. Possibly from a mess up when marking off the lot. Our Target, Wal*Mart, and Home Depot all have several wider spaces in a few rows. (I know where they all are if you need directions. :))

5. Quick story: Came to the outer limits of the lot one day to find a car parked so close I had to get in the passenger side. I recognized the car as that of a co-workers mother. He was driving it that day. A day or so later, he brought up the subject of close parking by inconsiderate people. He doesn`t know that I recognized his mother`s car. My story, "Yeah, some dummy parked so close to me I couldn`t even get in. I hope they enjoy the 2 liter Coke I poured in their gas tank". He turned pretty pale and I had to tell him I hadn`t really done it before he passed out.

6. I have also asked for their insurance company after getting door dinged.

Sick, isn`t it?

Charles

Bigs
01-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, I usually park at the end of parking lots well away from the possibility of getting hit... Well that`s what I thought.

I got hit twice in 1 month. All on one side, front quater panel and rear. I was furious and both were hit and runs. Ended up costing me over $900 to get repaired.

joyriide1113
01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
i like to park far and sorta double aprk a bit. enough that it looks unintentional but enought hat no-one in their right mind would choose to park next to me when there are freebies all around.

this should be titled

"DETAILERS PRIDE 101"

CharlesW
01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
i like to park far and sorta double aprk a bit. enough that it looks unintentional but enought hat no-one in their right mind would choose to park next to me when there are freebies all around.

this should be titled

"DETAILERS PRIDE 101"One problem with the two space parking is the fact that many people really resent it. They may not park next to you, but they may leave you with some vandalism to contend with.

Charles

Bill D
01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
One problem with the two space parking is the fact that many people really resent it. They may not park next to you, but they may leave you with some vandalism to contend with.

Charles

Absolutely! Also, once one has found that perfect parking spot, I`d advise to not park back wards in. It can come across as "show casing" the car and may be bait for some jealous SOB. Try to park out of harm`s way as inconspicuously as possible.

CharlesW
01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
A little off-topic, but not much.
A friend of mine had a Porsche 911 for about 6 months. Loved the car, hated owning it. If he went to a movie, all he did was worry about the car for a couple of hours. He would go out to eat and have to go check on the car several times during the meal.
It got to where he didn`t drive it, and like me, has no use for a car you can`t drive so he sold it.

Charles

joyriide1113
01-09-2006, 11:49 AM
tell me about it. my parents and me all drive bmws to work so we tend to park next to eachother to avoid damage. my mother one time was on the outer side of the parking row and she doubled parked. the enxt mornign before going to work we noticed 4 humongous dings on the door, that obviously were intentional. had the building security check their surveillance and my mother had their insurance company pay.a lot of the times, if damage was done intentionally, u can have surveillance pulled.

now a days, theres always a camera running.

cwcad
01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I am one of those people that parks a long ways from the front door. I go to the market twice a week. Generally parking in the same space. It is a single space at the end of a long row of doubles. I crowd the line away from other vehicles so as to preclude any possible accident from doors opening against my truck.

One time I went late at nite to the market. I parked close to the door. By the time I got to the shopping carts I was so nervous that I went back and parked in my favorite spot. After completing the shopping I proceded home. My wife asked, "What took so long?" I had only gone to the store to get some ice cream for her. I told her what had happened. She merely shook her head. Giving me a look of incredulity. The only resaon this story is germane to this thread is now my wife has new shiny car. It seems, that the walk from the far side of the parking lot, is not so bad when it is her shiny new car.

CharlesW
01-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I am one of those people that parks a long ways from the front door. Remember where you found me at the restaurant in Des Moines?
If it hadn`t been for watching for you, I would have been in the Northernmost corner.:)

Charles

cwcad
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I do remember.. I also remember parking in the front so as to make sure that I did not miss you. I saw your vehicle in the mirror and moved to the back with you. We both made it out of there unscathed. :naughty

Jngrbrdman
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I thought I could trust the people at my office to be considerate and not door ding me when I bought my new car, but two weeks after I bought it I saw the first ding. That`s it... I haven`t parked next to anybody at this office since. I park so far out in BFE that I might as well walk to work. It is far enough out that if I forget my planner or something in my car, then I just have to go through the day without it, cuz I ain`t walking back. The nice thing about parking clear out in the South 40 is that I never have to worry about door dings. The other nice thing is that one day when I forgot to engage the emergency brake and accidently left the car out of gear and it rolled quite a ways... So parking out in the boonies saved my butt on that occasion. The fact that my car is almost a year old now and I still only have that one door ding is another testament to how great parking out in the middle of nowhere has been.