PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions. Im a newbie.

Toymachine2009
04-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Okay so to start off I just recently got into detailing cars. Alot of the cars I have come across are trashed on the interior!!

Brown or tan interior with black stains in the carpets in the car and the floor mats.

Suggestions how to take those out?

To let you know I ordered some APC+ and Zaino Leather cleaner and Zaino Leather in a bottle.

Is it good to soak the car mats in water. What I have done previously that helped a TON was take power washer and power wash the floor mats which made the mats a couple shades lighter and I used an extractor and extracted 95% of the water out and let the other 5% air dry in the sun. But I ordered APC+ because I need something strong to scrub out those really bad areas that the power washer didnt even get out.

I come across A LOT of damaged and cracked and faded and torn leather. So im assuming for leather that bad I should order Leatherique and that leather cleaner to go with it. Will the 2 Zaino products I Ordered helped with the cracked and damaged and faded leather?

Also when I start using APC+ when that arrives will I even need to power wash in the mats or is APC+ and a scrub brush enough?

Sorry for the long post. Just bugging me not knowing the answers.

I just want to know a good process with what I have to cleaning the floor mats and the actual carpet in the car that has alot of stains.

imported_paintxpert
04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
FIRSTLY....Dont let anyone take advantage of you! If these cars are pig sties, you are poised to lose on them if you don`t price them out correctly! Ripped and worn out seats are just that, WORN OUT. For filth you need an extractor with hot water. This is the only thing that will move out the extreme dirt you describe. I hope your getting 200 or more for these rats your taking in. LOL....I wish you the best with your projects. PS the floor mat process seems logical. Dont make anyone promises on making ripped seats look better.

Toymachine2009
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Of course I cant repair ripped seats. But I have seen the results on here of people come across the most cracked and dirty leather and make them Look Like New.

I just wanna know how they do that.

Also How I can use APC+ and a scrub brush to clean out floor mats and the interior carpet. Obviously I can take a power washer and clean up the floor mats pretty well but I obviously cant take it and start spraying down the inside carpets.

So will APC+ and a scrub brush get ALOT if not MOST of the stains?

Toymachine2009
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
for example how did this guy achieve this 50/50 shot? What did he use to clean the headliner?

http://handz.hardbraking.com/Detailing/2004BenzE320/IMG_3327Small.jpg

Toymachine2009
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow 50 views and no one has advice how to clean the carpets and mats really well?

BTW here is the mats I did today. These pics are them AFTER i cleaned them really well. They both were pretty dark black and I got them both couple shades light but as you can see there still pretty dirty.

I Power washed them and use the "little green machine" to suck out all the water. They lightened up but you can still see there bad. Any suggestions how to make them better? Will APC+ do a better job?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/38c58ff9.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/b67f0368.jpg

Will APC+ clean that up?

Toymachine2009
04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
80 views no replies? Bump

imported_Time2Shine
04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I am curious too, maybe you posted it in the wrong section? heh

Through searching, it looks like most people recommed Folex (from HD or Lowe`s)

Accumulator
04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
80 views no replies? Bump

I`d like to help but I just don`t have a solution. Not being a pro, if a mat is that bad I`d just replace it :nixweiss

But OK, some sorta-random thoughts follow:

Get the carpets as clean as possible with dry methods like vacuuming and brushing first.

Use an air compressor to blast dirt out (but give thought to where that dirt will go).

Use a carpet pre-spotter. If you don`t want to order from somebody like Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) then check the yellow pages for your local carpet-cleaning supply store. Something like that would be my choice (and it`s what I use, got mine from TOL) over an APC unless there`s some reason why an APC would be better (grease/etc.).

Use *HOT* water.

Use a steamer.

Use mechanical agitation (brushes on a Cyclo is my approach).

Some people (like, IIRC, Scottwax do really soak mats, like in a bathtub. I`ve done it a few times...gotta watch that the adhesive holding the mat to its backing (if it`s that kind of mat) doesn`t go bad and you gotta dry the mat out thoroughly.

Be careful that aggressive cleaning doesn`t destroy the foam backing on that kind of mat.

Some people do use pressure washers, but again, you gotta be careful or you`ll cause damage.

Be sure to thoroughly extract the shampoo. Use a water rinse or even a rinse agent (again, see carpet cleaning supply stores for such stuff).

Be careful to *NOT* get headliners wet (even truly damp is too wet IMO) lest you mess up the adhesives that hold `em in place. And beware of "rings" around areas you try to clean. There are spray-heads that "foam" the cleaner, those can be good as dry is better than wet. Sorry I don`t have anything better but I`ve never had a truly dirty headliner to deal with.

Tell customers that there`s only so much you can do with pigsty-level interiors. The owner of that Benz oughta be embarrassed.

John_K
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
If I was in your situation and you didn`t have the tools, just explain that was the best you could do with what you have in stock right now.

Toymachine2009
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
okay well I have APC+ on the way do you think that will clean these rugs up better?

levander
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
I`ve seen some people rave about carpet brushes you can put on your DA polisher. I think Scottwax has a Youtube video of him doing this. Link to his Youtube videos is in his sig.

Really, this forum doesn`t seem to see a huge amount of posts every day. BAnd some of the regulars just get tired of typing the same information in again and again. The archives in this forum are vast. There`s plenty if you search. But, like everything on the internet, can`t believe everything you see. Becoming familiar with who good, knowledgable posters are will help you interpret what you see. Obvious ones you`ll notice are Accumulator and Scottwax. I`m sure there are more. Those are just the 1st 2 I`ve noticed so far. Noticed a few yakky posts recently that seem really knowledgable lately, but haven`t been following him...

Leatherique does seem to be what people recommend for not just cleaning and conditioning of leather, but actual restoration. But, I`m newb too. So, search and see if you find the same thing.

I admire your willing to run out and start a business without feeling like you know a whole lot about it. I`ve done all kinds of reading and still wouldn`t feel comfortable yet taking money to do someone else`s car. But, then again, I don`t really have much free time to look into this stuff as much as I`d like.

06vrss
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Im far from a pro, mostly a weekend warrior but here is my two cents. As far as floormats go, ive always had good luck with some Meg`s APC and a scrub brush. I dont have a pressure washer so i obviously have never used one on floormats. Meg`s APC is great stuff as u can change your dilution if u run in to some serious stains( i usually use it at 10:1 or 15:1). With headliners i have used folex for spot cleaning but i wouldnt know what to say for cleaning the whole thing, maybe a steam cleaner as i would also imagine getting it completely soaked would be bad. Hope i could help a liitle.....good luck man.

Toymachine2009
04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I read woolite 1:10 mixed with water.

Damn cleaned my headliner right up from black marks!!

Just to let you guys know.

Jeanethics
04-28-2010, 08:14 AM
I am far from a pro.. But more of a weekend warrior.but here what works for me. I have had great success with simple green 10:5 on heavy soiled. If no extractor or carpet steamer wet/dry vac will work.

vac thoroughly and beat the mats before wetting them.

agitate with a brush. I usually get them pretty clean. I have an Mb with light interior and an escalade esv with light interior. So i deal with them alot.

Woolite is good as well.

Good luck with your new business venture.