PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi 3000 GT paint problem

Jpostal
04-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Today I went to do a basic polish and wax on a Mitsubishi 3000 GT at a dealership I do some work for. The car had obviously been re-painted at some point and the quality of the repaint was really bad. The puzzling thing is that the repainted panels were a two stage paint but when I started polishing my white pad turned red as though it were a single stage paint (no clear). Other random panels on the car (especially the roof) looked and acted like single stage, but the majority of the car had this horrible looking two stage. Has anyone run into this before? Should I use different products on the "single stage" than on the "two stage"?

Any input would be appreciated.

Greg Nichols
04-24-2010, 09:00 PM
I`m confused......

the repaint was multi stage and did not turn the pad red? Or the repaint did turn the pad red.....

Cheers,

GREG

Jpostal
04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
The repaint was (a very poor) multi stage job, and it did turn the pad red...but slowly. The roof did not appear to be repainted, and it definitely turned the pad red much more quickly.

Dubbin1
04-24-2010, 09:16 PM
If you`re getting color on the pad then its a ss paint.

Greg Nichols
04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
If it turns the pad red its SS paint, or tinted clear which I doubt.

Using Megs 80 and 83 are great for SS paints. If done properly the paint will glow with SS. Clean the pad often and allow it to dry, have plenty of pads ready to go.

Cheers,

GREG

XL Advantage
04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
I`ve run across some crappy paint jobs where the customer said the paint shop mixed the color and the clear together. Could this possibly be the cause. I`m not sure; but, I`ve had a similar experience myself.

Jpostal
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
After I got the color transfer I originally thought it was (and maybe it is) a SS paint too, but when I inspected the hood I could clearly see areas (like around the windshield washer sprayers) that must have been taped off badly during the re-paint and there was a definite coating of some sort. Maybe it was not clear coat...could it be x-kote or something similar to that? You guys are probably right...it could be single stage, but i am surprised that SS would be used on a car of this year.

Oh well, it looks ok so far. I only did the front clip so far cause it started raining. I will finish it up sometime this week.

longdx
04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
My best guess is that the repaint was a BC/CC system. Mitsubishi factory red at that time was SS. The painter probably tied to blend the paint to match the current SS paint. Some panels have a full 2 stage paint and the surrounding have a mixture of paint/clear to "blend it in". With those surrounding panels, some paint transfer will occur on the pads. I have some experience with this as my Mitsubishi DD has the same color red and had the driver`s side doors repainted several years ago due to a minor accident. It is a challenge to try to polish the rest of the paint to match the newer CC panels. I can get really close for my tastes. Meguiars 80/83 are a good combination for this paint.

mikeross
05-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I agree with you.. Use Meguiars 80 and it would work out just fine. I have always used meguiars for my paint problems and to keep my mitsubishi parts (http://www.car-stuff.com/mitsubishiparts.htm) and paint looking good.