PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Process...thoughts?

baksdak
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Alright guys, first threads starter but been a member for a little bit and a lurker for a while. I have had my PC7424 for a few years, but now get to try it on my new car. The car is a 2007 Infiniti G35S (before the self healing paint); a sandy beige metallic color. My process is below. Hopefully, the rain will stop and I can get started tomorrow!

Wash (obviously)

1. Meguiars Heavy Cut Cleaner (4)

2. Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0 (9)

3. Meguiars High Tech Yellow Wax (26)

I also have some 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound if needed on the scratches the 4 doesnt take care of. And have some 7 show car glaze if for some reason the 9 polish doesnt result in a deep look.

Here is what I forgot. I bought the W8000 polishing pad for step 2 and the W9000 finishing pad for step 3. Hmmm...need to get a cutting pad. I have a couple lake country pads from the past I might pull out (red and black).

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations????

mystickid
04-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Just remember to try the least aggressive polishes first and work your way up to more aggressive polishes.

Megs 105/205 compound and polish are also a great combo to consider. you`ll find many threads in their praise.

baksdak
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Just remember to try the least aggressive polishes first and work your way up to more aggressive polishes.

Megs 105/205 compound and polish are also a great combo to consider. you`ll find many threads in their praise.

Ya, I was going to get the 105/205 combo but my supply store only had the large bottles which is way to much for me (and expensive). So, I went with the above. Thanks for the suggestion!

BigAl3
04-24-2010, 06:04 PM

to add... the ultimate compound and swirlx are alternatives as well, and they both can be used by hand & DA...

akimel
04-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Can you take the M04 and M09 back to the store and get your money back? They are definitely not the best products for your DA. I believe that M04 is approved only for rotary polishers. Did you check the back label? And M09 is so gentle that it may not be able to remove any marring you leave behind through the compounding.

You will get significantly better performance from SwirlX and Ultimate Compound, both of which are expressly formulated for DA polishers and both of which are available from local auto stores at very reasonable prices (assuming you live in the U.S).

shaunls1
04-25-2010, 12:17 AM
walmart has the ultimate compound for 8 bucks and its the same price for the swirlx.

from what i read on here they are the consumer versions of 105 and 205.

imported_advs1
04-25-2010, 12:41 AM
can you use 105 with a rotary?

Envious Eric
04-25-2010, 02:25 AM
lake country red and black are finishing pads, not cutting

you have some sub-par products...

check out autodetailingsolutions.com for all megs products. great pricing, great selection, great shipping, great CS = win!

or if you are on the east coast, hit up detailedimage.com for the same supplies!

Dubbin1
04-25-2010, 08:56 AM
check out autodetailingsolutions.com for all megs products. great pricing, great selection, great shipping, great CS = win!

or if you are on the east coast, hit up detailedimage.com for the same supplies!

Autogeek will price match and you can get 10% off using the proper code ;)

Accumulator
04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Can you take the M04 and M09 back to the store and get your money back? They are definitely not the best products for your DA..

And in most cases, even if you *are* using a rotary, the M09 won`t be a sufficient follow-up the something like M04. Might fill enough to look OK for a while, but it`s still the wrong stuff.

baksdak-Wrong choice of products, simple as that. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but you could do some serious damage with that M04 via PC. I *strongly* recommend that you do not try that.

Noting that 3M makes a *scad* of different "Perfect It compounds", almost all of them are quite a bit milder than M04 and would probably be better for use by PC (be sure to wear the proper dust mask if you use PI-II compound).

Eh....I`d just get some M105 (yeah, it`s fine by rotary)/M205 or Ultimate Compound/Scratch-X or Swirl-X.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia! Sorry to be all :nono but you really don`t want to mess this up.

bill57
04-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Compound, Megs #7, Megs #26. That is the combination I would recommend in your case. IMHO.

wannafbody
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Take a trip to WM and get the Ultimate Cut-it`s good stuff.

baksdak
04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, just checked this thread now that I am all finished, I wish I would have checked it again late last night...

I appreciate everyone`s comments. I actually ended up not liking the 4 (started my test section with it) and just used the 3M compound. I forget which one it is, but I have used it before with my PC and was happy with the results on a previous car. I followed that up with the 9. I thought the results came out alright. I probably achieved about a 70% correction on the surface scratches. To be honest, the car wasnt that bad to begin with.

In a couple months, I will just order the 105/205 combo, as many of you have suggested.

I greatly appreciate all the suggestions...lesson learned!!

akimel
04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
You can get both M105 and M205 from Auto Detailing Solutions in 12 oz samplers. That will save you from having to order the 32 oz bottles.