PDA

View Full Version : Entry level Road Bike

GlossyTundra
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Scottwax I know you and a few others are into road biking, so you guys may be the people to ask without joining yet another forum.

I want to get a entry level road bike. I have had mountain bikes, but I want to do the road bike thing for some cardio work. I live in the country, so there are plenty of places to ride without too much traffic, I hope.

I am looking for a decent inexpensive bike. It wont be used on 40+ mile rides, maybe a few miles at the most per day. Budget of $200 or so. I dont mind used, no problem with that, or older, as long as it gets the job done. I have done craigslist for bikes in my area under $200 and came up with plenty of Schwinns, Mongoose, and Raleigh bikes, but dont really know what I am looking at. What would be a size for a 6` person like myself?

paco
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
At that price range, they are all pretty much the same. Just make sure you get a decent seat as that will probably play the most into your being comfortable on the bike and make for an enjoyable time.

Next thing would be to make sure you have a decent groupo.. stick with a Schimano based bike at this point and make sure it`s a name branded one.

Dan
04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
$200 won`t get you much unless you get lucky or opt for something much older that might require more work ($$$), anything that has sat is probably going to need new pads, tires, bar tape, cables, probably a chain. At around $400 will get you something decent enough. Shimano components are nice, I`d stay away from Campy unless you are a good bike mechanic or can afford one, especially on a used bike. You need to find someone local that rides and knows their stuff or find a shop you can trust. So many variations in bikes, brands, Zombie companies (old names stood back up and nothing like the old brands), it really difficult to describe a good bike for $400 in one post.

Scottwax
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
You`d be looking at a 56 to 58 cm frame size for your height. A decent entry level road bike new is going to run around $1000, will be made of aluminum (probably a carbon seat post and front fork) and feature mostly Shimano Sora and Tiagra components (your shifters, dérailleursm brakes) and low end Mavic or Shimano wheels. If buying new, better to go up a few hundred dollars and get at least Shimano 105 components, more reliable and a touch lighter. Most bikes in that price range weigh between 19-21 pounds. If you buy used, you might be able to find a good carbon bike for a grand with Shimano Ultegra and possibly even Dura-Ace components and be down in the 17-19 pound range.

Another option is one I am considering, Neuvation. They used to just make wheels but now built complete bikes. Their F110 alloy bike is an aluminum bike with Shimano Ultegra components, Neuvation wheels and weighs right around 17 pounds. Depending on wheel choice you are looking at $1200-2000 for that bike. Add $300-400 for their carbon bikes.

impulse922
04-23-2010, 09:07 PM
scan craigslist and try to double your price. You might be able to get lucky and find a used bike with some 105 components for that price.