PDA

View Full Version : I`m sure it`s been asked 100 times over (Chrome Wheels)

01WJLimited
01-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Not really sure where to put this question, but here it is.

My Chrome wheels are stock, and they just keep getting worse every year, thanks to year round daily driving of my Jeep. I`m having some issues with them, and need some help.

Problem 1: There is pitting in the corners of the spokes. Is there anything I can do to reduce this, or make it less visible?
Problem 2: They look to be dull, and have some fine swirls. Is there anything I can do to revive them to their "blinging" stock glory?

joyriide1113
01-08-2006, 01:55 AM
metal polish and using a durable sealnt on them.

joe.p
01-08-2006, 04:23 AM

My Chrome wheels are stock, and they just keep getting worse every year, thanks to year round daily driving of my Jeep. I`m having some issues with them, and need some help.

Problem 1: There is pitting in the corners of the spokes. Is there anything I can do to reduce this, or make it less visible?
Problem 2: They look to be dull, and have some fine swirls. Is there anything I can do to revive them to their "blinging" stock glory?
I used steel wool then kaio followed with blue magic polish and then a good sealer.i wish i had taken some before pics you wouldn`t know they were the same rims. the above method will give you that bling your looking for and then seal to protect, theres not much you can do with the pitting.my rims were Chrome Gragars and they have been on the same car for 34 years i`ll try to post some after pics.

01WJLimited
01-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Steel wool on Chrome? I thought that would scratch it...

What is Kaio? Also, what is a good sealer?

Sorry about all the questions.

glen22
01-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Steel wool on Chrome? I thought that would scratch it...

What is Kaio? Also, what is a good sealer?

It sounds that WINTER has taken its toal on your rims. not much there is to do at this point. It is not a good idea to run chrome in salt thats for sure but if you do you must have them sealed and protected and clean them every week so the grime doesnt break the sealant. Reaplying your sealant every couple of weeks will help tons also.

joe.p
01-08-2006, 12:01 PM
I thought that would scratch it...

What is Kaio? Also, Klasse all in one cleaner

what is a good sealer? pbs wax wheel wax, i also use the same sealent you use on your car ex-p,upp, klasse SG . you can use a good spray wax for maintenance.

Steel wool on Chrome? the lightest steel wool available to you. i`ve used it on my rims and also to clean old chrome bumpers.

if anyone would like to add or correct feel free.

01WJLimited
01-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I have 00 Steel wool, a large package. Light enough?

tubafeak
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
You`ll probably want to go finer than that, 4-6 zeros will be more than enough power, anything more will compromise your chrome.

01WJLimited
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
When I washed it today, I hit them with the wool sponge of soapy water, then hit them with Meguiar`s All Wheel Cleaner and scrubbed the corners with a wheel brush. Then did it again with Meguiars Hot Rims Cleaner (Same thing different bottle?) Then dried them, and put some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on, followed by some NuFinish Wax (Gnarliest stuff I have... Don`t think the Gold Class would seal it as well. May not look as good, but it will last me until I can wash it again.)

glen22
01-09-2006, 08:24 AM
When I washed it today, I hit them with the wool sponge of soapy water, then hit them with Meguiar`s All Wheel Cleaner and scrubbed the corners with a wheel brush. Then did it again with Meguiars Hot Rims Cleaner (Same thing different bottle?) Then dried them, and put some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on, followed by some NuFinish Wax (Gnarliest stuff I have... Don`t think the Gold Class would seal it as well. May not look as good, but it will last me until I can wash it again.)

I was told it is not good idea to use a carnuba wax on wheels as they get hot and the wax will be worn off very soon,but to use a sealant instead kinda like a zaino product . just thought I would put that out there for debate cuz I usually keep a coat of something on often enough so I really dont seem to have any problems myself.

G35stilez
01-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Polish with Flitz Metal Polish (Ace Hardware)
Seal with Zaino Z2-Pro (www.zainostore.com)

pogo123
01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Poorboy`s Wheel sealant is another good option.

Dutch
01-11-2006, 06:40 AM
The pitting etc. can be coverd with some silver paint and a small artist brush.
It wouldn`t be noticed. this is an old trick the car show guys used.

joe.p
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
I have 00 Steel wool, a large package. Light enough?
00 steel wool is what i used because it was available and their was a lotta build up on my wheels. If yours are in need of a light cleaning and polishing i would also go with the lighter wool,as tubafeak reccommends.

Beemerboy
01-11-2006, 11:30 AM

I`ve had 3 Jeep Cherokees are you 100% sure these are chrome..or are they clear coated aluminium?

I know some of the newer ones have chrome just wondering