PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try or review the Turtlewax black wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3

billster50
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I bought a black car yesterday. It needs some TLC. The paint(fortuntely) only needs polished and not compounded. Plan is wash>clay bar to clean>polish the paint with a 3M product, maybe Perfect it>glaze>black wax. Then see if I have the desired effect.

Dan
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
If you are polishing it, what do you need a swirl filling product like blackwax for?

billster50
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
If you are polishing it, what do you need a swirl filling product like blackwax for?

You are assuming that all the swirls will come out. There will always be swirls some more pronounced than others. I am hoping that the glaze will cover any leftover swirls or mares tails that might show. Just asking if anyone has used the product.

Dan
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, you said it only needed a polish, not a compound, not sure why you`d want to do a 1/2 *** job and not get all the swirls out if all it needed was a polish. If you do it right, you can just seal your results.

BigAl3
04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
are you doing this by hand or machine? what all do you have as far as products go?

billster50
04-20-2010, 03:55 PM
I managed a Recon shop for a Dodge Chrysler Jeep Nissan Dealership for 5 years. All of the guys that worked for me had at least 8 years experience as detailers at the same location. The last one I hired had 20 years at another location. I no longer am in the biz. Anyway, on dark cars we would take the least aggressive route possible because we did not know the history of the car`s paint, how much mils is still left in the clear. And by the way, the term "buffing the paint" is a bit misleading. you are buffing the clear coat on modern paint. If the swirls and imperfections were not so pronounced that it was a borderline call of compound over polish, we would always polish and then glaze unless the owner specified at the time of dropping the car off that compound is what he wanted, and we would demonstrate the difference and adjust price for time involved.

To not take up bandwidth, my top, most meticulous former employee will be doing the polish part of the job. As far as product goes we will make the determination of what will work best when he evaluates the paint. I don`t even have the car yet, but I did have the location where the car is located (their body shop) do a test area on the hood with 3M Perfect it! at the final phase of my evaluation as to whether I was going to buy the car. It`s a long story of how I got to that point.

My experience with Turtle colorwax was red, that it did a great job of filling rock craters on the front air dam. Not chips, sort of small impressions that were made by rocks. If I used a product with any other color than red the spot would be pronounced by the white residue left in the chip. That is why I asked about black.

Dan
04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, sorry, I use a paint thickness gauge so I don`t have to guess.

RaskyR1
04-20-2010, 04:12 PM
:hide:

This could get ugly...

imported_Erik Mejia
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
I bought a black car yesterday. It needs some TLC. The paint(fortuntely) only needs polished and not compounded. Plan is wash>clay bar to clean>polish the paint with a 3M product, maybe Perfect it>glaze>black wax. Then see if I have the desired effect.

Save some cash, and get yourself some of the new Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste! This stuff is amazing on black vehicles. PM me if you do decide to buy it, and fill me in on your experience.

If you don`t like it return it, or send me the unused tin and I will buy the remainder off you! Meg`s GC Carnauba Plus Paste (I prefer paste waxes) is awesome.

Dan
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
:hide:

This could get ugly...

What you don`t like 4 post count detailing experts coming in and asking about a consumer level product??? :doh

Tuck91
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
What you don`t like 4 post count detailing experts coming in and asking about a consumer level product??? :doh

How would the OP know whether the car needs to be polished or compounded?

The paint could be as hard as a rock and require something like M105.

billster50
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
How would the OP know whether the car needs to be polished or compounded?

The paint could be as hard as a rock and require something like M105.

The OP "knows" because the body shop where the car is located did a test area on the hood, for demonstration purposes(3M Perfect it and a white pad)for proof to me prior to agreeing to purchase the car so that I would be satisfied the the clear would buff with just polish and not need to go with compound. For whatever reason the dealership did not spend any time or money to prep the car or if they did by the time I saw it (was in inventory for 2 months) all the glaze had weathered off the surface. Don`t know, doesn`t matter at this point, I own the car.

RaskyR1
04-20-2010, 07:43 PM

Actually it was this part of his post that made me :nervous:
we would always polish and then glaze

The first thing that entered my mind was this! :D

We all know how good those dealership detailers are with their buffers and glaze! :sosad

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2521/img1199q.jpg

Yes I know there are a few VERY rare ones...

imported_bpfoley
04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
I am actually curious in products that hide as well. I have a family and cannot keep my car polished to the extreme all the time and I admit that let things slide a little in the autopian wash regimen and introduce light blemishes here and there.

This is a product discussion forum for all detailing products from botique to OTC.

I have noticed a lot of condescending attitudes from some members lately regarding certain products or methods. Some of us just want to hide the problem for a few months until the time is right to do a true polish.

imported_Bence
04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
The OP "knows" because the body shop where the car is located did a test area on the hood, for demonstration purposes(3M Perfect it and a white pad)for proof to me prior to agreeing to purchase the car so that I would be satisfied the the clear would buff with just polish and not need to go with compound. For whatever reason the dealership did not spend any time or money to prep the car or if they did by the time I saw it (was in inventory for 2 months) all the glaze had weathered off the surface. Don`t know, doesn`t matter at this point, I own the car.

Hey billster, can you be more specific regarding the 3M PI product? What brand white pad with which ppi rating? White foams can differ significantly. How was the paint evaluated? MH lights, Sun Gun? IPA and/or prep solvent wipedowns after polishing to remove the polishing oils? Car brand, paint code?

Please understand that here the majority of the professional level detailers (not necessarily pros in the classic context) are well above the level of any body shop/dealership.

We generally accept only ABSOLUTELY swirl free surfaces, with no detectable micromarring.

I know that a pigmented wax can be beneficial for certain paint conditions where the concealment of white rock chips/minor road rash is needed. But still, other areas must be perfect.

We add filling materials to fragile/thin/old paint finishes where correction is not an option because of the overall thickness/sensitivity of the paint film.