PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question- tall vehicles

imported_hockeyplaya13
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
What do you do for lighting large vehicles? I have a dodge ram 1500 and lighting for the roof and hood has been quite a pain. Regluar halogens work for al the side panels, but aren`t tall enough to light the hood/roof. I plan to get a brinkmann soon, but that`s really only good for checking the paint after the fact. I need some way to light the paint while I`m polishing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

S&S Detailing
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
The halogen twin lights I have also have a ~7 foot stand, havent had any issues with tipping or not being tall enough yet, something similar to this....but i suppose those rams are taller than hell, so that might not even be tall enough.

Amazon.com: Designers Edge L-14SLED Home Light Two-Light 1000-Watt Halogen Work Light with Tripod: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-L-14SLED-Two-Light-1000-Watt/dp/B0002YW2C8)

You could deck your work area out with HID lights mounted to the ceiling :hifive:

I really think It would be cool (in my situation, which is in a two car 10 ft. ceiling garage) to mount a couple of those Halogen lights to the ceiling and wire them to a switch, maybe 6 of them all the way back on the ceiling and a few more on the walls, it would definitely be bright!!

Accumulator
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I use the squeeze-clamp handles on my incandescent trouble lights to attach them to various things, from electrical conduits to ceiling mounted HVAC vents.

Plus, well....I have the ceiling-mounted incandescents, but I`m guessing that those aren`t part of the mix here. I`d *MUCH* rather have those than ceiling mounted halogens, as I always turn out the halogens and do my serious inspecting with the incandescents (and/or the SunGun these days ;) ) anyhow.

imported_hockeyplaya13
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM
OK. I forgot to mention, I`m in the works of setting up a mobile business, so I`m not thinking of just my truck. It`d have to be something portable. Just trying to be prepared for SUV`s and such.

S&S, I`ll have to check for that. My current halogens suck, the lights keep blowing out, are only 500 watts each, and the stand is like 5 ft. As for your ceiling mounted halogens, that would be pretty cool, but depending on how many you had, it`d be hot during the summer!

Accumulator, do you find that the trouble lights show defects well? I`ve only used halogens for detecting swirls/marring.

Accumulator
04-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Accumulator, do you find that the trouble lights show defects well? I`ve only used halogens for detecting swirls/marring.

Yes. I rely on incandescents *FAR* more than on halogens for this. Incandescents let me get colors like silver flawless under *any* lighting conditions and that`s almost impossible for me to do with just halogens.

My inspection routine (leaving the SunGun out of it) is to turn out all the other lights and inspect with incandescents; this almost *always* leads to finding some residual marring that I couldn`t see before.

They work a lot better for me than the Brinkman too ;)

imported_hockeyplaya13
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes. I rely on incandescents *FAR* more than on halogens for this. Incandescents let me get colors like silver flawless under *any* lighting conditions and that`s almost impossible for me to do with just halogens.

My inspection routine (leaving the SunGun out of it) is to turn out all the other lights and inspect with incandescents; this almost *always* leads to finding some residual marring that I couldn`t see before.

They work a lot better for me than the Brinkman too ;)

OK, thanks. Do you use incandescents while correcting too? Or just for final checking?

Accumulator
04-20-2010, 05:26 PM
OK, thanks. Do you use incandescents while correcting too? Or just for final checking?

I leave `em on while correcting, but I want different/brighter light when doing the correction than I use for inspection.

For me, there`s a big difference between being able to see what I`m doing and being able to spot marring (esp. light marring).

When I inspect, I have the shop as dark as possible, with only the inspection lights on. Yeah, I have to go throw switches/etc. back and forth and it *is* a hassle.

imported_hockeyplaya13
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I leave `em on while correcting, but I want different/brighter light when doing the correction than I use for inspection.

For me, there`s a big difference between being able to see what I`m doing and being able to spot marring (esp. light marring).

When I inspect, I have the shop as dark as possible, with only the inspection lights on. Yeah, I have to go throw switches/etc. back and forth and it *is* a hassle.

OK, cool. Do you ever have to worry about overloading the circuit? I`ve done it a couple times in the middle of a detail, just from have twin 500w halogens running while using the PC. Really annoying to have to stop what I`m doing to go reset the breaker. And since I`m gonna start doing this mobile, I really don`t want that to happen.

Accumulator
04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Do you ever have to worry about overloading the circuit? I`ve done it a couple times in the middle of a detail, just from have twin 500w halogens running while using the PC. Really annoying to have to stop what I`m doing to go reset the breaker. And since I`m gonna start doing this mobile, I really don`t want that to happen.

Eh, I have a purpose-built shop, so my situation probably doesn`t relate to what you`re doing. Sorry...

But the incandescents don`t draw all that much.