PDA

View Full Version : oh no what have I done

arnie
04-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Hi all,

I picked up a small scratch on my skyline 350gt. It was about 1 1/2" long

and i could feel the edge with my finger nail, could not stand to look at it so decided to fix it.

First I washed and dried the car, then quick clayed the rear side panel rinsed and dried again. Cleaned the scratch with a bit of isopropyl then filled the scratch with 3 coats of paint applied with superfine artists brush.

I let paint dry for 12 hours then rubbed down with 3000 grit wet n dry.

this left a faint haze over the repaired area. Next stage , Sonus sfx-2 and yellow spot pad on my porter cabler speed number 3.

Next, hand applied auto glym super resin, followed by gloss protection, followed by auto glym high definition wax.

After all that, it looks crap:confused: the area stands out like a sore thumb, looks a different shade even out side the scratch. Could i have gone through the clear coat? Don`t know what to do next apart from cry into my coffee.

I will try and post a pic, see what you guys think.

thaks for listening

arnie

imported_mystic04
04-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Some pics would help a lot.

subygirl
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
we aren`t going to be able to tell you what happened or how to correct it without pictures

arnie
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
will put pics up in the morning when my camera has charged up. I do

hope someone can tell me whats going on.

ta very much

arnie

S&S Detailing
04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
OOPS!! That sucks man, well without pictures (yet) maybe you need to do a little more polishing?

muscleknight
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Did you put clear over the top of the area when done?

arnie
04-20-2010, 02:25 AM
some pics of my failed attempt at a scratch repair. I have not added clear coat

yet. Don`t know if you can tell from pics whats going on. If i have gone through clearcoat i cant feel an edge. Area is about 1 1/2" x 1".

any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

arnie

vtec92civic
04-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Sorry to say this man but you went through the clear coat on that . . . . . only way to fix that is to have it re-sprayed professionally. You might have just sanded a bit to hard or not used enough lubrication when sanding.

Remember this . . . . . . the clear coat on your car is thinner then a sheet of printing paper.

jtford95
04-20-2010, 03:02 AM
That is what you did arnie. It sucks but your not the first and not the last. Just think it could be a paying customer`s car. Just trying to make you feel better. Good luck Joe

arnie
04-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Have i just won an "idiot of the week " badge:cry:

is it possible to touch up the clear coat with an air brush or is it going to make it look worse?

It must have been the sfx-2 that cut through cos the wet sanding was confined to a smaller area than the damage that now shows.

Dont even want to look at my car now:(

thanks for all the replies

arnie

vtec92civic
04-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Have i just won an "idiot of the week " badge:cry:

is it possible to touch up the clear coat with an air brush or is it going to make it look worse?

It must have been the sfx-2 that cut through cos the wet sanding was confined to a smaller area than the damage that now shows.

Dont even want to look at my car now:(

thanks for all the replies

arnie

hey man don`t beat yourself up. I have done that before from wet sanding. It was accident and it happens. It`s a learning experience and has probably happened to the best of us. Thing is to just learn from it. Not sure about the air brushing . . . . . it might work for a quick fix but i still think it would need to be professionally re-sprayed

2010V8Colorado
04-21-2010, 03:32 AM
I did the same thing and had the same response you did, "oh no what have I done"? Did it on an `09 Tacoma Pyrite Mica. Started as a pin-head sized flaw in the paint on the front passenger door. I had been shown how to wet sand by the Toyota Body Shop manager on another scratch I was trying to fix. Had applied 3 or 4 coats of touch up paint but could still see it. Anyhow, I used the same technique as he had done, making just a few passes with the sandpaper, then checking. After the first attempt, I could still see and feel the touch-up paint. Did another pass and it was flat. When I polished, I had a "halo" that was about the size of a grape. Trying to fix that, I ended up with a football sized halo. Well, I tried to fix that by spraying factory match paint and clear coat. No good, you could still faintly see the halo and where I had sprayed clear coat. It was a $600 repair by a body shop; they had to fade the paint into the front fender and rear passenger door so it would not be noticable. Although the repair was great, everytime I walked by my truck with the sun hitting the door, it "seemed" I could see something. The clear coat on Toyota`s must be like onion skin!!!!