PDA

View Full Version : Best wax for the rain

ppastos
04-17-2010, 06:01 PM
I am sorry if this was already asked. I want a product that in the rain will bead water and then the beads will just roll off. Now if thats not already in a product then I think someone should make it happen.

You would have the best of both worlds: beading and a water mark free car.

Rtom
04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Opti-Seal works great for sheeting the excess water and then beading whatever is left over.

The beads don`t look as nice as other sealants, but I`m all in for the sheeting action. Water spot free!

I was under the impression that waxes couldn`t "sheet"?

SilverSeven
04-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Collinite 476S or Collinite IW 845. It beads and when u drive ur car in the rain, it sheet water like crazy...... :)

Poordude
04-17-2010, 10:01 PM
collinite 476 undeniably.

Leadfootluke
04-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Collinite 845 is a wax with qualities that bring together the best of both worlds. The water will bead until they meet another bead, and once the water beads meet, gravity pulls them off of the surface. It is a wax and beads great, but once the beads get big enough they sheet off. The 476 beads up very quickly and is very slick. Although I have found it to sheet less than 845, the surface is very well protected. Then sealants, like OptiSeal which sheet like crazy.

I shot these pictures today. From left to right are 845, Optiseal, 476. They have been on the hood for a week now. You can see the 476 on the right in "tight" beads, the 845 on the left in beads and sheets, and the optiseal completely sheeting without any "flooding".

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/IMG_0560.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/IMG_0567.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/IMG_0578.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/IMG_0588.jpg

ppastos
04-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Are the above pictures taken in the rain? I was under the impression that rain water is different than way spraying water from a hose.

I was also considering Finish Kare 1000P as the Wax of choice to prevent water spots in rain.

Optiseal looks like its the best but I wonder how it holds up in the rain.

Rtom
04-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Awesome comparison luke!

The hose version of the test will be no different than a driving in rain test. It`s a bit more extreme than real weather conditions, but it helps to show the properties of the different LSP`s without wasting time waiting for weather.

FWIW, I use Opti-Seal on my daily driver. Three months in, and it`s still sheeting, even against the above average amounts of rainfall we have here in Vancouver, albeit less.

Personally, I think sheeting is the best option, but after seeing those pictures, I`m tempted to pick up some 845 just for the superior looks of beads of water :D

Leadfootluke
04-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Are the above pictures taken in the rain? I was under the impression that rain water is different than way spraying water from a hose.

I was also considering Finish Kare 1000P as the Wax of choice to prevent water spots in rain.

Optiseal looks like its the best but I wonder how it holds up in the rain.

I was under the impression that there were 3 lsp`s suggested and since I had a picture of all 3, I would let you see for yourself how they looked. :idea

I also wonder about OS in the rain, but we haven`t had any in a while.

xbbsupra
04-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Collinite 476 works great for me.

wfedwar
04-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Collinite of any variety (845, 915, 476)

ppastos
04-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I was under the impression that there were 3 lsp`s suggested and since I had a picture of all 3, I would let you see for yourself how they looked. :idea

I also wonder about OS in the rain, but we haven`t had any in a while.

:sign LOL

Thanks for the info from EVERYONE!!!

Perfection is tough though because I have 20 year old paint that has seen better days. I want to protect it as best as possible till I can pony up 10K for a new paint job.

I was think about getting some FK1000P and then put Opti Seal over it. But OS needs bare paint to bond to from what I have heard.

But I have learned may important things thanks to all you guys: Pick the lightest polish and start with that. Then move up to the big boy polishes. And preparing the paint is the biggest step where as waxing is the big finish.

BostonDuce
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Adam`s Americana paste.

Tight beads and lasts between 3-4 washes for me.

BD