PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cleaning Question

Pages : [1] 2

spencer785
04-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Hi there just wondering i usually keep my interior pretty clean but after a week or two sometimes a month there is a good layer of dust over the interior. Do you guys dust first or just spray cleaner and wipe. This is probably a dumb question but just wondering. Thanks

rcrobbins
04-16-2010, 02:25 AM
I found it`s best to use a tack rag to wipe everything down before I start cleaning and dressing. I find mine at O`Reillys for 99 cents a piece. I did a convertible last week, pollen and dirt were everywhere. If you go to straight to wiping with cleaner, you will more than likely get streaking/smearing that`s noticeable after the product dries.

Here`s a pic of the tack rag I used in vert... it was blue when I started.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/rcrobbin/alpine%20bmw%20detail/100_1188.jpg

Accumulator
04-16-2010, 10:40 AM
My approach to this is to keep things from getting too bad (tall order what with the dogs :o ). So I do somewhat frequent wipedowns with Meg`s Interior QD on a MF. Even if it`s just a quick, cursory job, it`s worth the little bit of time it takes.

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
My approach to this is to keep things from getting too bad (tall order what with the dogs :o ). So I do somewhat frequent wipedowns with Meg`s Interior QD on a MF. Even if it`s just a quick, cursory job, it`s worth the little bit of time it takes.

+1. A weekly dusting for me is more than enough to keep it spotless. However my M3 saw 500 miles since November and will probably see only 3-4k until it goes back to sleep this upcoming winter. The daily driver hasn`t been washed since August 2009 when I purchased it, but that too gets weekly dusting and vacuuming.

David Fermani
04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi there just wondering i usually keep my interior pretty clean but after a week or two sometimes a month there is a good layer of dust over the interior. Do you guys dust first or just spray cleaner and wipe. This is probably a dumb question but just wondering. Thanks

Use the towel you dry your door jambs with to wipe down the dash and interior components. As long as you regularly do it, you shouldn`t need to deep clean your interior too often.

Accumulator
04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Use the towel you dry your door jambs with to wipe down the dash and interior components..

That`s assuming said doorjambs are nice and clean before they get wiped down ;)

David Fermani
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Of course. Absolutely. :chuckle:

imported_RedlineIRL
04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I am going to see if I can find some of those tack rags to try out. With an all black interior dust really shows, and so does any lint from dusters or MF towels. Did you have any trouble with the tack rags leaving and kind of linting behind?

08xB
04-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I`ve always used Swiffers.... Work great for me.

brwill2005
04-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Use the towel you dry your door jambs with to wipe down the dash and interior components. As long as you regularly do it, you shouldn`t need to deep clean your interior too often.

I never cross contaminate like that. It would not be too nice if you got some lithium grease from the jamb, and transferred it to the dash or instrument panel. A damp MF is all you need to clean an already decent interior.

levander
04-17-2010, 03:59 AM
When your interior is already filthy with dust (and can`t go back in time to have just regularly cleaned it before it got that way) the obvious answers seems to me to pre-wipe it down with some kind of towel. rcrobbins tack rag answer is probably the best if you want to get a touch fancy.

David Fermani
04-17-2010, 04:35 AM
I never cross contaminate like that. It would not be too nice if you got some lithium grease from the jamb, and transferred it to the dash or instrument panel. A damp MF is all you need to clean an already decent interior.

Stay away from the hinges then..duh. :nana:

Don`t really know what your wash process is, but I light soap my jambs and shoot a heavy stream of water into every seam/crack/body line so there`s nothing but water in there when I go to wipe/dry them. There`s more dirt/dust/debris on my interior then there is in my jambs. No cross contamination when you know what you`re doing.

2005GTPinMD
04-17-2010, 06:04 AM
I`ve always used Swiffers.... Work great for me.

Ditto here - swiffer dusters are great to remove some of the interior dust. Works like a charm for in between cleanings.

brwill2005
04-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Stay away from the hinges then..duh. :nana:

Don`t really know what your wash process is, but I light soap my jambs and shoot a heavy stream of water into every seam/crack/body line so there`s nothing but water in there when I go to wipe/dry them. There`s more dirt/dust/debris on my interior then there is in my jambs. No cross contamination when you know what you`re doing.

Not to be argumentative, but water and soap will not remove the grease that is used on the hinges. Besides the hinges are where the dirt usually sits. I have seen perfectly clean door-jambs (MB CLS550) that still have thick clear grease leaking from the hinges. This stuff does not wash off with soap and water, but takes an actual towel to remove. Would you then use that towel on your dash? Much easier and safer just to use a separate towel for both areas.

David Fermani
04-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Do you really think I`d use a greasy towel to wipe down my interior? Come on Brad, I wasn`t born yesterday & I`ve been detailing & washing cars for a long time.

It doesn`t take a genius to scope out the jambs of a vehicle ahead of time to determine where and how to clean them. You`re acting like a hinge is filled with grease and releases it constantly. That`s obviously not the case if you`re vehicle is properly maintained on a regular basis. Any residual grease around your hinges should only require a 1 time dedicated clean-up with no effort. Dirt only sticks to grease covered hinges, so if you "detail" them after servicing you`re worries are microscopic.