PDA

View Full Version : Guidance/Advice Needed

bics56
04-15-2010, 09:24 AM
OK this is my first post on here (other than the new guy post) so take it easy on me. Advice and guidance will be appreciated.

I plan on detailing the cars soon and I wanted to get some advice before I order any supplies.

I purchased the Mother Clay bar kit the other day. This will be my first time claying and after watching a few videos and reading on here it seems like with patients it should be fairly easy. I was actually talking to a friend last night and he told me to take it back and to pick up the Turtle Wax Ice clay bar. He said he always used Mothers and tried Ice and he liked it a lot better. Any insight on this?

Both cars are 2008’s that have paint that is in really good condition. I never used a polish before other than trying to correct minor scratches. I plan on hand polishing the cars. I know it will be faster and probably better if I used a PC. I do not have one and right now it is not on the top of the list of things to buy (we are expecting our first child in 2 months). I wanted to see if I can do a decent job by hand for now until I can possibly get a PC for Christmas as a gift. I am debating on what polish to use by hand. From reading on here it seems that HD Uno is good. I guess you can say it is on the top of the list. I also read good things about Meguiars #205 and Mothers Power Polish. Any input or recommendations would be highly appreciated. Also any techniques/tips for hand polishing would be appreciated as well.

For the wax lately I have been impressed the NXT 2.0. I know it does not hold up that well so I planned on putting a coat of Collinte 845 overtop. I figured since I like NXT 2.0 that this would be a good combo. Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

imported_Satinsilver
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I like your friend`s idea of returning the Mothers Clay bar kit. But I would get the Blue Clay Magic kit. Very soft clay, less $$$ and a great spray detailer. I havn`t used the others but was so impressed with this and have read many reports of others on here that were happy with it. Around $12 at Autozone.

Some professionals I know say not to bother polishing by hand. Instead use a polish that contains sealant so your killing two birds with one stone. After polishing by hand I would be too exhausted to do anything else.

Duragloss has #101 polish and sealant. Its a true polish eventhough they call some of their other products polishes eventhough they are not since they are non abrasive. It`s durable also.

#671 is a little more abrasive and contains sealant. Good stuff!

Duragloss #671, Duragloss SMR (Swirl Mark Remover) (http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=277)

Others really love the #105 for its durability and shine. Very low on the abrasive scale. Havn`t tried it yet but its on the list.

Duragloss #105, Duragloss TPP (Total Performance Polish) (http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=336)