PDA

View Full Version : Removing `protector strip` + Cleaning behind

Shadow87
04-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, proud owner of a supercharged 02 Stang.

One thing has always bothered me on this car... the freaking `door protector strip thing`.

Not my car (away on business trip atm):

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2314/v6stang.jpg

How do i take this off? How do i clean it up so that theirs no marks left?

I`m 100% new at this, i`m not even sure if i have the right forum? All i know is that its been pissing me off for 6 years and i`m not willing to spend the $250 shops ask to take it off + clean the door.

Thanks!!!

jaynick808
04-15-2010, 04:52 AM
i just picked up a used car for my girl with some of that same type of add on moulding and sprayed tarminator and a little paint safe apc and 91% alcohol then used fishing line to floss it right off. then i sprayed more tarminator and scraped off the residue and compounded the area with m105 then finished with m205.

its pretty easy, i think scraping off the residue without scratching the paint is the hardest part if the car isnt new and theres gunk buildup and the double sided tape melted.

2005GTPinMD
04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
To debadge people also use dental floss or a fishing line - those might work too.

NismoMax80
04-15-2010, 08:52 AM
on my nissan I know that the door is not flat underneath (or i would have simply removed them and left them off) it is indented and held on with adhesive. some use clips. I so want to get rid of them but I would need to fill and repaint.

I just buff right over them. try not to use too much product. when it does get in between there are detailer tools or sometimes a towel edge and remove it.