PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna 85rd question

mc01ta
04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I`ve finally had some time to play with 85rd on my 2007 Black Nissan Pathinfinder recently. I started to get low on my FPII bottle and decided to restock with 85rd after reading so much about it. One BIG difference between the two is the residue that 85rd leaves behind compared to FPII. With FPII I can just wipe away with a microfiber and the paint is sqeeky clean.

I`ve used 85rd 3 times now over a few hours of jeweling my paint and just a general cleaning/prep for a new layer of lsp. Not only did wiping down with microfibers just smear around the residue but also couldn`t remove it. I had to bust out my IPA and do several applications to remove. I was polishing in 60 degree temperatures in my garage.

Has anyone else run into 85rd being such a pain to clean up? I gotta find a way to use this without requiring so much work as I have a huge 32 oz bottle. I will say the it has some nice cut on soft Nissan paint. Almost close to correction I get from 205.

I`m not over working the polish, it has just broken down when I stop. I don`t let it sit, I immediately remove it.

Any tips/thoughts?

imported_agentf1
04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Almost sounds like you are using too much or not working it enough. I am just guessing but I do not notice any harder clean up with 85rd than I do any other polish.

I am assuming you are using a good mf for removal. I use the yellow plush mf with theblack border from AG.

JohnKleven
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Every once in a while you will get a car with "sticky paint". Did the buffer jump around a bit when you were polishing? I`ve noticed some cars that have sticky paint are very difficult to remove the residual with a microfiber. Best of luck.

John

mc01ta
04-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Just so I bring you all up to speed I`ve been using a pc for over a decade now. The polisher did not jump around. This paint hasn`t reacted like this before. It is finicky for sure but never had residue like this. I think I might be over working it if anything. The microfibers used I use them for all polish removal without problem. I even used some Showtime QD to help speed up the removal process. I then ran into still having the oil residue all over my hood. So I did more multiple IPA wipedowns, took about 3 wipedowns per section. I made sure to shake this bottle for a few minutes too. Not sure what the deal is. Thank you for the input, I`m still scratching my head on this one.

Envious Eric
04-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I had that problem tonight...never did with FPII either!

what was recommended to me was to give it a decent quick wipe, then use some EZCream glaze right over the top of it, then apply the sealant on top of that to limit the number of wipes on the softer black paint. I did that with the compounding and polishing, didnt think to do it with the final polish/sealant. I have to add the glaze step now, but thats only like 20 min.

oh and I used about a 1/4th of what I thought I should and it covered the panel just the same, shortened the working time, still had the gloss, and wiped up a little easier FWIW!

GS4_Fiend
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I too had to use IPA to remove it cleanly... I used a blue pad (LC).

SSizzlin'
04-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes, leaves behind a lot of residue. I`m not a huge fan of 85rd.

imported_DJ Mayo
04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Are you guys using PC or rotary to apply 85rd? This will play a big role in the removal.

Autogeek
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Just so I bring you all up to speed I`ve been using a pc for over a decade now. The polisher did not jump around. This paint hasn`t reacted like this before. It is finicky for sure but never had residue like this. I think I might be over working it if anything. The microfibers used I use them for all polish removal without problem. I even used some Showtime QD to help speed up the removal process. I then ran into still having the oil residue all over my hood. So I did more multiple IPA wipedowns, took about 3 wipedowns per section. I made sure to shake this bottle for a few minutes too. Not sure what the deal is. Thank you for the input, I`m still scratching my head on this one.

I`ve had this problem on my S2000 using PO85RD with the PC, Flex, and Makita. No matter what I try, it gums up and gets VERY sticky. After buffing each panel 10 times with QD spray, I had to resort to Meguiar`s Body Solvent because the streaking was that bad. Oddly enough, all the Meguiar`s and 3M polishes work just fine on my paint.

David Fermani
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Almost sounds like you are using too much or not working it enough. I am just guessing but I do not notice any harder clean up with 85rd than I do any other polish.

I`ve never had any problems either. Probably have went through a dozen or so large quart bottles so far. I put 3-4 tiny pea sized drops on my pad and can work 1/2 of a door without any problems removing it. I`ve used it with rotary and PC. My all time favorite finishing polish!!

Regardless, I`m not really concerned about wiping the surface 100% perfect anyways. I suggest either washing the vehicle (85RD washes away easily) and/or doing atleast an alcohol wipedown prior to LSP. That should eliminate any concern you might be having.