PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plates and Pads

mike4690
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I just ordered some 4" and 5.5" LC pads for my upcoming Makita rotary purchase. My question is, should I get two different backing plates to accommodate both pad sizes, one being 3 3/4 inches and the other 4 3/4 inches, or should I just get the smaller one and use that for both?

Legacy
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I just ordered some 4" and 5.5" LC pads for my upcoming Makita rotary purchase. My question is, should I get two different backing plates to accommodate both pad sizes, one being 3 3/4 inches and the other 4 3/4 inches, or should I just get the smaller one and use that for both?You will need both backing plates. If you use the 5.5" pads with the 3 3/4" bp there would be too much of a overhang and the plate could cut into the pad.

Accumulator
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Right. Plus the pressure won`t be uniform across the pad the way it`d be with a properly sized plate.

TLMitchell
04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I just ordered some 4" and 5.5" LC pads for my upcoming Makita rotary purchase. My question is, should I get two different backing plates to accommodate both pad sizes, one being 3 3/4 inches and the other 4 3/4 inches, or should I just get the smaller one and use that for both?

As others have pointed out, use the tools approriate to the job. The right size backing plate is designed for the right size pad, because it works. Don`t try to cut corners and cheap out, you`ll only end up shooting yourself in the foot and spending more money in the long run. From one who tried... :(

TL