PDA

View Full Version : About to make my first machine/product purchase@

neighborsenvy
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I buying my first set of equipment for my black Pontiac G8. To give some background the clear on this car is extremely soft. In a year of driving it I have 4 rock chips already. There`s swirls everywhere. 75% are from delivery but the rest are from washing. The worst part is Ive always done the two bucket method and no car washes.

Im looking to get the PCXP with the Menzerna Kit that has the Intensive Polish, Final Polish, and Finishing Glaze

The other option would be Meg kit with the 105 and 205.

Is there one that better than the other? Ive heard good things about both.

strauss
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I use and love both the Menzerna polishes and the Meguiar`s M105/205 combo. With that being said, I`d think that the Meguiar`s combo *may* be easier to work with if you are new to machine polishing. Reason being is that the Menzerna polishes have to be "fully worked" before moving on to your next section. They have diminishing abrasives that work best when you fully break the polish down. The Meguiar`s SMAT technology is more "what you see is what you get". If you need more cut, keep polishing. If it looks good, then you are ready to move on.

David Fermani
04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Best of both worlds would be M105(orange LC pad) with Menzerna 85RD (white LC). M205 can be touchy on some soft clears where 85RD works every time.

neighborsenvy
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I looked up the 85rd and it says it for ceramic clears that are scratch resistant. I wouldnt have even thought to use a product like this. Thanks

Accumulator
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
neighborsenvy- Welcome to Autopia!

While I do usually just recommend the M105/M205 combo, the residual oils from M205 can be a hassle. Guess it`s no surprise that I think David Fermani`s idea sounds good...I just wonder if the 85RD will be sufficiently aggressive to clear up any micromarring that the M105 might leave, micromarring that could be a little on the severe side until you get the hang of using M105 :think:

Oh, and note that M205 is for scratch-resistant clear too, they just don`t make as big a deal out of it.

I see the Menzerna/Wolfgan vs. Meguiar`s polish thing this way: short work time and consistent/non-breaking-down abrasion = Meguiar`s. Longer work time, probably easier wipe-off and gradually milder/do-break-down abrasives = Menzerna/Wolfgang. Which sounds more appealing to you? Not like either would be a mistake.

But I`d want something more aggressive than the Menzerna IP for your "harsh" product.

I guess my biggest concern is that you get the most powerful polisher you can afford (I`d go with the Griot`s) and that you don`t try to use too-big pads on it (I`d absolutely not go over 6" and I myself would use smaller pads that that). If somebody buys a PCXP and tries to use 6.5" pads on it, I`d expect disappointment.

Rtom
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
IME, Menzerna products are much easier to work with than the Meguiar twins. If you`re just starting, M105 may seem a bit too "harsh", in terms of cut and isn`t very forgiving when it comes to workability.

As Accumulator already suggested, if you`re going to do any intensive work, you may want to add a bottle of more aggressive polish. (Eg. SIP)

5.5" pads work the best on RO machines, I wouldn`t recommend going above that as you`ll find yourself with a very wobbly (jiggly) machine.

Can`t chime in on polisher options, but I`ve used a PC since I started, and still use one.

Don`t think about it too much, just get your products and go for it. Experience really is the best teacher.

neighborsenvy
04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I ended up buying the 105/205 and 85RD. Seems like most pick these 3 as their go to most of the time. I got the 6" pads as well. I wanted to go right to the Flex but decided to go the easier route at this point. I build furniture for a hobby and sanding is a major part in it. I figure this shouldnt be THAT hard. Im using my father in laws car as the guinea pig before I go to mine.

Thanks for the help guys.

Joe

David Fermani
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
While I do usually just recommend the M105/M205 combo, the residual oils from M205 can be a hassle. Guess it`s no surprise that I think David Fermani`s idea sounds good...I just wonder if the 85RD will be sufficiently aggressive to clear up any micromarring that the M105 might leave, micromarring that could be a little on the severe side until you get the hang of using M105 :think:

I`ve never had any problems removing the slight M105 haze with 85RD. Make sure to practice proper technique and it drastically reduces unneeded haze. Even though 85RD is a final finishing polish, it can definately cover the gap that M105 leaves behind. I know a few people that actually finish with M105.

Accumulator
04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I`ve never had any problems removing the slight M105 haze with 85RD. Make sure to practice proper technique and it drastically reduces unneeded haze. Even though 85RD is a final finishing polish, it can definately cover the gap that M105 leaves behind...

OK, roger that, and yeah...little things can make a big diff with regard to how M105 finishes. Sheesh...guess I *will* have to buy some 85RD :o

I know a few people that actually finish with M105.

Yeah, but I`d wager heavily that they`re not inspecting rigorously with a SunGun ;) IME, properly-worked M105 is one of those things that can look fine in any other light, even sunlight.

neighborsenvy
04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I went with the Griots machine then. I just realized that I forgot to order the Light Gun. Ill be doing this outside before it gets sunny so hopefully it comes out somewhat decent for the first go around.