PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Compound

Pages : [1] 2

Spaceman
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Have any of you guys used meguiars ultimate compound to remove light to moderate swirls/spiderwebs? What do you guys think about it?

termigator
04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I`ve used UC many times after wetsanding, and for swirl removal. It`s really good. I personally think it`s just as good as M105, except it`s a lot less expensive and it doesn`t dust. It does leave slight haze though, so you`ll need to follow it up with a lighter polish.

Tuck91
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Great OTC product. I have found that UC and SwirlX are great for when working by hand.

Dubbin1
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
UC followed up by 205 is my go to combo.

LICamaro85
04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
For an OTC product it is my favorite go to polish. I find myself using it more and more lately just because it does remove all swirls and a decent amount of scratches and finishs pretty much LSP ready.

If you do go over it with a less abrasive polish you will gain "some" gloss and clarity but not much. If it was a Daily Driver I would most likely just end after the UC.

Megs Ultimate Compound is a great one step product and it does wonders on oxidation.

- LI 85

dennn
04-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Have any of you guys used meguiars ultimate compound to remove light to moderate swirls/spiderwebs? What do you guys think about it?

Depending on how light your swirls are and how soft your paint is, UC may induce more swirls during the swirl removal process.

Even if a very gentle polishing pad is used, you will need to follow-up UC with another light polish.

cpufreak3
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Do you guys suggest I use UC with my PC?

The other products I have are from the Optimum line (HC, compound II, polish II)

If so, what pad with UC? And is SwirlX 2.0 good for removing UC haze?

Dubbin1
04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
If you do go over it with a less abrasive polish you will gain "some" gloss and clarity but not much. If it was a Daily Driver I would most likely just end after the UC.

Megs Ultimate Compound is a great one step product and it does wonders on oxidation.

- LI 85

I would have a bit of a hard time agreeing with that. UC followed by 205 has always given me much better results then UC alone.

termigator
04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I use UC with the PC on an orange cutting pad. It will leave a slight haze, so you`ll need to follow up with a lighter polish. I have used SwirlX, M205, FP II on a white or green polishing pad. They have all worked very well.

LICamaro85
04-10-2010, 08:00 AM
What kind of pad do you use dubbin? I finish with a white LC pad and the last pass apply no pressure and the paint comes out LSP ready.

- LI 85

Poordude
04-10-2010, 08:49 PM
i use orange lc pad on my honda ridgeline with uc with no haze or marring what so ever.

bill57
04-10-2010, 09:39 PM
I found UC to be my "go to" product for light scratch removal (scratches that do not catch my finger nail). I found that I do NOT need to follow with a less abrasive polish like I had to with Megs #2 - and UC took more off than Megs #2! For larger areas, I`ve used UC with an orange pad for numerous scratches, with a white pad for large swirl areas, and by hand for individual scratches. The UC is a great! product!

Glossequation
04-11-2010, 06:05 AM

It works unbelievably well. Cuts fast, virtually no dust, may or may not leave your finish wax-ready. But in terms of a cutting polish, it really is one of the best products out there.

Accumulator
04-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I found UC to be my "go to" product for light scratch removal (scratches that do not catch my finger nail)....

Note that any scratch that *can* catch your fingernail is mighty serious and most likely too deep for safe removal.

I found that I do NOT need to follow with a less abrasive polish like I had to with Megs #2 - and UC took more off than Megs #2!

Yeah, the modern Meg`s compounds (UC/M105) do cut *and finish* better than #2 (all versions). But #2 always required multiple step-downs and, eh...you might sometime see UC`ed paint in certain lighting that could change your mind about how it finishes out ;) I thought M105 finished pretty nicely until I inspected it under the SunGun (what a rude awakening *that* was!).

carwashguy4life
04-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Ultimate compound is a very good product. I used it on my mom`s 2010 Chevy Impala and achieved excellent results. When she brought the car home it had all the classic dealer applied swirls and buffer tracks. It took me two passes using PC 7334 w/ LC yellow pad to achieve 95% correction. Afterwards, i applied M205 on LC white pad to bring out the gloss. LSP was Meguiars Gold Class Wax. That combination worked flawless. IMO, Ultimate Compound is much easier to work with than usinf M105. However, there are still times where M105 is the alternative means for correction. For the rest of those instances, UC will be the main product used.